Author Topic: hacker martin,lester smith  (Read 17316 times)

Luke

hacker martin,lester smith
« on: August 23, 2012, 07:10:56 AM »
trust everyone is doing well,anybody have pictures of a hacker martin,or lester smith guns,hacker was an old master and they say lester was a fine builder and master engraver,any of you old timers got pic of their guns,thanks luke

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: hacker martin,lester smith
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »
Both Martin and Smith were contemporary gun builders. Perhaps if you asked the same question on the contemporary section of this site you may get a few answers.

This section is for discussion of mid 19th century guns and earlier. 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:56:52 PM »
Perhaps a better description of this forum would be "pre-revival muzzleloading firearms".

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »
I attended the Richmond VA gunshow this morning and David Condon was there. On his table lay two Hacker Martin flint pistols. I am not a big fan of his work but the pistols were pretty decent looking. I am not sure if he has them on his website or not.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

cheyenne

Offline art riser

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 01:13:02 AM »
There are multiple posts on Hacker on the blog.  Enter his name in the upper left hand corner to see all the posts or http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search/label/Hacker%20Martin

Foxfire 5 also has information about Hacker and Lester.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search?q=lester+smith
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:22:38 AM by art riser »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 05:25:53 PM »
Over the course of my muzzleloading life I have viewed two Hacker Martin rifles. One was in very good condition, and the other had been shot until the barrel was almost smooth, and the lock was worn out. Both guns were carved, and inlayed, maple stocks. I would call Hacker's carving a little heavy handed. His inlay work was very nice. The stock stain was definitely acid, and not neutralized, both guns had turned almost black. Today he would be considered an average garage builder. But, that being said you have to consider the methods used, and the tool available, in his time. I think few of our premiere builders today could do as well with the lack of knowledge, and first class tools.

Hungry Horse

ricktull

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 02:28:00 AM »
you can see a hacker martin gun in the john wayne Alamo movie. he built the half stock flinter wayne uses

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 06:06:14 AM »
 :)Do believe( could be wrong) they are raffling off a Hacker Martin at the CLA Show next August. Double check to make sure.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:10:21 PM by Ky-Flinter »

DICKH

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 06:01:20 PM »
  In the February 1948 issue of Muzzle Blasts Red Farris had a left hand flint rifle by Hacker Martin
  for sale has any one seen a left hand rifle by Hacker?

Richard Henderson

Offline little joe

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 04:39:25 AM »
Both Martin and Smith were contemporary gun builders. Perhaps if you asked the same question on the contemporary section of this site you may get a few answers.

This section is for discussion of mid 19th century guns and earlier. 
You have lost me . Is this not a  contemporary discussion. There is a thread on here dealing with Hawken Rifles, all or mostly all contemporary pieces.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 04:13:42 PM »
Little Joe,

This topic was originally posted in the Antique section and Eric Krewson rightly suggested the topic would be a better fit here in the Contemporary section, so a Moderator moved it.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline tomjanemc

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 12:40:01 AM »
Dick Henderson ,
 About 12 years ago, I purchased a left hand Hacker Martin percussion half stock at an estate sale in NW Ohio. It was 40 caliber and stocked in cherry. It was in pristine shape. I contacted John Rice Irwin at the Museum of Appalachia, to see if he would be interested in buying it. He declined, so I sold it at Jefferies Antique Mall near Findlay,Ohio. It was the only left hand Hacker Martin I've seen.

Tom Mc

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 04:05:59 AM »
To those of us born in the peaceful (here) Year of our Lord 1940, Hacker Martin was indeed contemporary. Guys, we gotta edakate the young'uns!

So my question is, has anyone put together some kind of book or booklet on Martin, his life  his guns? I have heard - no personal knowledge - that Martin taught Wallace Gusler?

Me, I collect info on Southgate. "Book" is up to about 45 pages, dunno if my half - xxx effort is worth printing. The July 1952 American Rifleman article inspired me, I dearly wanted one of his rifles. $125 price took care of that. Never met him. I am aware many of you have much more personal information than I.

But Hacker Martin is legendary - how about some of you Contemporary Fans writting him up?