Author Topic: New bag for "Ugly Betty"  (Read 3722 times)

Offline pathfinder

New bag for "Ugly Betty"
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:46:07 AM »
Took a break from customer item's and decided to make a new rig for "Ugly Betty" a .32 Southern Gun I got from Gibb's here on the ALR. I have 2 Hershall House Knives and figured this is as good a time as any to put them to use.

The bag is made from 2-4oz Vegtable tan lined with ticking,welted and all edges bound. I got the inspiration from one of Ken Scott's bag's when I took his class last year. I dont keep a lot of stuff in the shooting bag,bare neccesaties for the gun and a mould. I got the horn at the Kalamazoo Gun Show last year and have NO IDEA who made it,but I love it. It's a"charming" little guy,9-1/2" around the curve,and @ 1-3/4in diameter at the butt. Critiquie is VERY welcome!

Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Jerry V Lape

Re: New bag for "Ugly Betty"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 04:06:09 AM »
I am confused about the two different length thongs securing the powder horn.  Not a big fan of chains and brass rings  -  just wind up scratching up the furniture.  Otherwise the horn is nice as is the bag, and the knives go without saying. 

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 04:18:13 AM »
I dont like the horn flopping around,so a short thong on the front and a longer one on back allow's it to be swung out to fill the measure,yet keep it tight to the bag.

I like ring's and the chain is brass link. got tired of leather thong comming undone or getting brittle after 10-15 years of use. Scratch up what furniture? Just askin'

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
I can see how you use the horn - learned something there.  I carry horn on a separate shoulder strap and the contact between the bag and horn straps seems to prevent the swinging. As to the brass rings and chains,  just my preference to limit anything that can rub against my firearm and horn scratching up finishes (furniture),  making noise in the woods and adding reflective surfaces.  Just my hunting and military experiences.  If you like the chain and rings that is all that is necessary to know.   

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
Also remeber,they are new and will get an "honest" patina in no time. I NEVER polish or clean brass.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
Was hoping more folks wouldn't like it and tell me why. :D

Had it out yesterday on a short day trekk and it worked out good! I've gone to useing my haversack for keeping tool's that fit a few different gun's,Ladle,pliers and such,and keeping just the tool's for THIS gun(Ugly Betty)in the shooting bag.

I used to have ALL the stuff in a bag for each gun,made for a big,heavy bag! I really like the "new" way I'm carrying the bag's! Alsoleaves room for stuff I find in the wood's,Tinder fungus Hachet Jack's stuff,ect.....

rickevans

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:21:10 AM »
I might have gone for iron instead of brass, but once it gets used, I think the overly shiney lookey here flash will be greatly reduced. Are the knife sheaths "removable"? Also will try that horn attachment on the bag for my recently acquired .40

Goes w/ Ugly Betty just fine. Not too old, not too new looking. Appropriately aged I'd say.

If you really want a harsh review...I think it is horrid. Send it to me and you will never have to see it again. Unless we squirrel hunt together.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »
Are you following me? Just wait till ya see my new Fowler and bag,when I get the bag done,that is!