Author Topic: Pick and Whisks  (Read 18296 times)

RWood

Re: Pick and Whisks
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 05:30:34 PM »
Dave,

Yes I know what you mean about looking back at ones early work. What I was pretty pleased with a couple of years ago is now to embarrassing to show anyone.
You're right photos can be forgiving, but I still like what you've done.
 I have spoken to Jerry at the CLA show and really like his work. I bet studying with him was a real treat.

As far as the acronyms, yes I understood most of them. I was in from 70-74 as a BT on a DDG, and then as a Oil King on a DE.

Enjoy your work thanks for sharing.

Ron

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »
Ron,

One Tin Can sailor to another, nothing beats standing port and starboard upper level watches in the Fireroom of a 1200 pound DDG steam plant !!  I haven't had that much fun since my last root canal.

Dave C

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

RWood

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 01:26:04 PM »
Dave,
 I know just what you mean.
Ron

William Worth

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 08:12:08 PM »
This makes me feel, by comparison, that I am very wasteful of my space and resources. :-[

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 08:39:29 PM »
William,

Use what space you have .....and with glee!  Room aboard a war ship is as rare a commodity as good weather.  In the 1700's, Dr. Samuel Johnson said, "No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned."   I think he also went on to say that, being in jail, one usually has better food and better company.   I am sure that RWood can confirm.

Dave C
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

RWood

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 09:15:55 PM »
I'll agree with with the first part of the quote Dave, but I never met better people. It wasn't the seventeen hunreds either! The food this another story, but alot better then MRE's
 Ron

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »
Ron,

I agree with you..the best people I have ever had the good fortune to work with.  Many of them were characters in the extreme, of one sort or another, but I'd sail straight into $#*! with any of them to a man.  I was known amongst my shipmates as a man who would tie a bowline in the Devil's tail just for a laugh.  My comment was made in jest.

All the best.

Dave
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780