Author Topic: Finish for black walnut stock  (Read 10119 times)

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
Re: Finish for black walnut stock
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 03:56:58 AM »
Just can't figure out why you have to fill the grain of walnut.  I love that wood and how it finishes and I have never attempted to fill the grain in any way.  I do not see holes where there is end grain and I do not see any gaps between grain fibers.  Am I missing something?
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 05:31:24 AM »
NIce!

What is C/B and what is BL?

How did you apply them ... brush, swab, cloth, hand, etc?

Did you do anything between coats?

sorry , i got the C/B backwards . it should have been B/C for Birchwood Casey .
BL = Boiled Linseed .

I apply all my oils by hand to include the filler . while the  Birchwood calls  for being laid on  with a cloth, i prefer to  work it in by hand using lighter coats . Sanded back between coats .
 The number of coats  I let be dictated by the  size of the pours themselves .
 The final filler coat  I buff back with burlap..

Some may think the Boiled linseed is over kill . But some years ago I had an issue with  my Tung oil   finish  being laid over  the filler . I however have never had an issue with  Tung adhering to  BL .  Nor BL adhering to the filler . So I added the BL and have never had another issue .
 I would also point out . The result is nothing more then a sped up version of  applying coats of oil and wet sanding between them . Just as you described  earlier.

Just can't figure out why you have to fill the grain of walnut.  I love that wood and how it finishes and I have never attempted to fill the grain in any way.  I do not see holes where there is end grain and I do not see any gaps between grain fibers.  Am I missing something?
volatpluvia

IMO , no your not missing anything .
 Some folks like the  European finish  and the want the pours to show . Other prefer the American  type finish  which has become very popular . Thus the pours are filled  to the point the surface is smooth as glass , yet not to the point  the wood has a built up plastic look .
Also depending on your blank  the amount and size of the pours can very  greatly throughout . As such filling “if so desired” can even out the finish .
Take the BW stocks I showed . The butt stock area  is so dense that there  was   very little to no  pours visable  after final sanding  . Yet up around the wrist and the  lock panels the blank was much less dense , with more pours being visible. While both these areas will carry checking ,  I don’t want the pours to  disrupt the evenness of the finish between the checking areas . So the complete stock was filled .
 This doesn’t mean that the pours  don’t show ,they do as under the oil they naturally appear darker . However the surface finish is smooth      
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:37:02 AM by Captchee »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 05:50:22 AM »
No matter what I've done, even decanting into much smaller containers,, once the original container is opened, the clock is ticking towards it drying up/going bad in the container it seems...I don't like throwing away 1/2 of it or more no matter what it is though.

Have you tried using CO2 or Nitrogen?  I forget which (may as well be Argon) but a local master furniture builder showed me that he uses that method of finish-in-the-can preservation.  A gentle blast of the inert gas into the can before closing.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Captchee

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 05:58:37 AM »
volatpluvia
here are a couple pieces where the  owners specifically ask to have a more early European finish . As such the pours are  visible in the final surface as no filler was used . so really it all comes down to the type of finish your looking to get and depending on the piece , id desired ,whats proper for the age of the piece 
 The first SXS is an English walnut . The later being of Bola

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:01:22 AM by Captchee »