Author Topic: Harder, Jacob - Waverly, NY 090124-3  (Read 7774 times)

Offline nord

Harder, Jacob - Waverly, NY 090124-3
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:37:58 PM »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice example of a multi-barrel gun. This gun is a good example of why the Museum needs a brief guideline for "standard" gun photos. We have no view of the front side of butt or lock, and back views are of limited areas on gun. It's a fine gun that would be much better served if shown with "standard" half-shots of front and back sides (from butt plate to about 8-10" past lock plate), a full length view, and then close-ups of important details such as name plate, major inlays, locking mechanism, and muzzle, etc.  Is there a matching large inlay on the front side  of butt, or a cap box?

The screws in the large inlay along the butt plate raise the question of whether that inlay was added later. Note that the cheek inlay and the maker's name inlay share the same small silver headed nails, while  the large butt inlay uses screws.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice example of a multi-barrel gun. This gun is a good example of why the Museum needs a brief guideline for "standard" gun photos. We have no view of the front side of butt or lock, and back views are of limited areas on gun. It's a fine gun that would be much better served if shown with "standard" half-shots of front and back sides (from butt plate to about 8-10" past lock plate), a full length view, and then close-ups of important details such as name plate, major inlays, locking mechanism, and muzzle, etc.  Is there a matching large inlay on the front side  of butt, or a cap box?

The screws in the large inlay along the butt plate raise the question of whether that inlay was added later. Note that the cheek inlay and the maker's name inlay share the same small silver headed nails, while  the large butt inlay uses screws.

Nice rifle, and an interesting three barreled variation from the guns we are used to seeing, but....I agree with Shelby. All we have are pictures of details with no overall shots to show us how the rifle looks as a whole. It certainly belongs here, but I wonder if we could persuade the owner to take and send some additional photos before we put it up?

Was not there a Harder in PA that also made multibarrel guns?  Same one??? or family? Yep, Sellers reports a same named individual in Lockhaven, PA ( perhaps the same as in NY) I  had a double  signed J. Harder, Lockhaven, PA., as I recall on a barrel inlay.

This is a neat rifle; its only the second, three barrel I have ever seen. And, this one is a swivel breech to boot. There can't be very many of these around. Get some good photos of it and post it! I have always kicked myself for not buying the first one I saw, but kids don't know what they are looking at half the time anyway.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:26:46 PM by Tim Crosby »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.