Author Topic: Contemporary builder information  (Read 2723 times)

Hawgeye

Contemporary builder information
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »
Hello. I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm in the right spot. I'm looking for information on a contemporay builder named G. Forsyth. He was active in the middle nineteen seventies in Nebraska, Kansas, or possibly Ohio? I recently acquired a 50 caliber, Hawken style rifle built by him. The makers name, build date, serial number and owners name are engraved on the bottom barrel flat. The rifle was commissioned by a USAF pilot who was killed in a plane crash before firing the rifle. I purchased the rifle from his 85 year old mother. She knew only that her son was stationed in Nebraska at the time of his death and his effects contained no information about the rifle. She and I would appreciate any information on this maker. Thank you, Bob.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Contemporary builder information
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »
Hi, there are so many builders out there, many of them not well known, but often impressive.  Worth a shot asking here, but unless one of those happy coincidences happen, it may remain a mystery. 
Andover, Vermont

Hawgeye

Re: Contemporary builder information
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »
Thank you for your response. The work is well done on the rifle, with the wood work exceeding the metal work by a great deal. The furniture is iron with the exception of the brass buttplate and patch box, which resemble Thompsom Center. The lock is a Robbins and the trigger assembly is Cherry Corners. There are no maker marks on the barrel but the eight lands and grooves could be Douglass or perhaps Sharon made. The hodge podge of parts indicates to me that it was built by a talented hobbyist with shelf available parts. I did caution his mother to expect very little information and your conclusion reinforces that. Thank you again. Bob.