Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 4597 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

What happened?
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:10:35 AM »
I finally got to the range today. I was awful. I put about 18 shots in the black at 25 yards and surrounded the x ring. Not one shot in the middle. Went out to 50 yards and the first off hand shot was in the x. I said great maybe I'm improving. Well the next 2 shots were an inch apart side by side at 6 oclock. I'm blaming the weather it was cold and rainy. But my poor performance was likely due to lack of practice. I've only been to the range twice since the CLA show. I think I need to take the advice of Scadden (forget his first name) you know, "shoot more, Shoot more often" ;D

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:51:59 AM »
We all have our "off" days, I don't know why but just take them in stride and try and remember those other days when you just couldn't miss and were in the "zone".

What were you shooting?
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:35:48 AM »
You got it right, Bull3540.  I've had off days so bad I'd only get 3 or 4 shots on the paper at 25 yds!  Then the next week I'd shoot head-swelling good.  Moon phases?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »
Who knows?  Maybe bad air, locusts or pollen, those days just seem to happen without ryme or reason.  :D
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline LH

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »
Two days of shooting in two months aint enough to keep you tuned up even a little bit.  Trigger control and position go away fast when you dont shoot. 

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 05:33:12 PM »
Offhand practise in the basement in inclement weather with a pellet rifle is good for the breathing, sight alignment and trigger control practise.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
Something many shooters ignore is dry fire practice.  Having shot with and having coached small bore championship collegiate rifle teams, I firmly believe in dry fire practice.  Teaches trigger control, follow through (really important for muzzleloaders), flinch resistance and the rhythm of the sights in the firing positions. It does a lot for strength of muscles used in the firing positions too.  I tried to get the shooters to fire about a ten dry fires for every live fire.  Had a pretty good impact on scores.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:34:26 PM »
I firmly believe in dry fire practice.

I firmly believe this Jerry - Dry firing is essential if you want to stay in the game. Off days happen to everyone Micah, shooting is such a Zen thing and everyday is not zen day. On the other hand some days it all comes together and those are fun and the off day quickly forgotten.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 03:53:41 AM »
1st thing that goes is the concentration of the follow through.

jamesthomas

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 12:10:39 AM »
 You got it! sometimes I've forgot about staying down on the rifle when shooting. Bad follow through results in bad shooting. I've been guilty of this a few times.  :(  Two days ago I went shooting, did a lot better than last time because I remembered to stay down on the stock an follow through instead of lifting my head as soon as I shot.