American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 02:03:26 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Gun Building
| | |-+  Spring steel question
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spring steel question  (Read 2254 times)
Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 10:16:15 PM »

I fully agree with Dan.Buying something of known provenence
is the only way to go when it comes to spring making. I have used 1075 for decades
and so far,only one failure and I think that spring was tampered with. Until recently,
I had it and the color was odd looking. For years,I sent a lot of locks out of the USA
and I HAD to have a spring steel that was uniform and for me,1075 is it. I wouldn't
ever attempt making springs from drill rod or pitch fork tines or anything else. Years ago,
one lock maker used 1095 and made tumblers from Chrysler and Packard torsion bars.
For tumblers, I use 1144. It machines almost like 12L14 and will harden in oil when heated
and quenched. Methods and mmaerials may vary a lot from person to person but I am
oriented to results and knowing that when I send a lock to where ever,it has good quality
springs and other parts.

Bob Roller
James

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 05:42:24 AM »

I see the general opinion and reasoning behind it. I was under the mistaken impression that the steel I have would be one alloy or another consistent with what it had been originally used for. I see your point that there is no way for me to know what the parts I have were made from and that for my needs I should know what I'm working with. Thank you.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry
WadePatton

Tennessee

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »

I see the general opinion and reasoning behind it. I was under the mistaken impression that the steel I have would be one alloy or another consistent with what it had been originally used for. I see your point that there is no way for me to know what the parts I have were made from and that for my needs I should know what I'm working with. Thank you.
yes, the specific contents of the alloy-represented by the numeric designations, determine the characteristics of the alloy.  The most pertinent of those being how it responds to the various heat-treatments used to create a properly durable part. *

While i rather enjoy making shop tools (and other things) from scraps and worn files, but if a shop tool "fails" i just fix it or make another one.  I wouldn't want to have any "contributory responsibility"  in the field failure of a lock part.

* there's some real good reading in Machinery's Handbook wrt spring materials (and every other engineering aspect of a spring).

Hold to the Wind
Acer Saccharum
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »

Where can I get 1070 in small batches?

Tom Curran's web site : http://tcurran.com/
Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »

Acer,
Try McMaster-Carr. I think they are in Norther Ohio.maybe Cleveland.
I bought 50 lbs of 1075 from Lapham-Hickey in Chicago recently in 1/8"
thickness for mainsprings. I tried several other steel suppliers that I once
bought from and they seemed hostile to a small shop like mine so I was
directed to Lapham-Hickey. SOME of these outfits will send a sample but
I don't recall which ones.

Bob Roller
Acer Saccharum
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »

Thanks, Bob. McMaster sells only 1095. I'll look at MSC.

Tom Curran's web site : http://tcurran.com/
WadePatton

Tennessee

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »

Thanks, Bob. McMaster sells only 1095. I'll look at MSC.
admiralsteel(.com) has some 1075.

Hold to the Wind
Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »

My last experience with Admiral Steel was that they were not intetested in small shops or orders.
 Bob Roller
T*O*F

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 07:05:59 PM »

Flat spring stock assortment-1075 steel

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26219/Product/NO-149-FLAT-SPRING-STOCK

A dedicated person with just a pocketknife can accomplish more than a lazy person with an entire toolbox.
Dphariss

Northern I Corps Kill a Commie for your Mommy

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »

I think DGW sells 1070-1075 1" wide by 12" long.
At least is was 1070 a few years back.
Dan

"American Girls and American Guys
Will always stand up and salute  Will always recognize
When we see Old Glory Flying   There's a lot of men dead   So we can sleep in peace at night   When we lay down our head"
Toby Keith "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue"
Randall Steffy

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »

My search of McMaster Carr shows spring steel 1074/1075 available.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-sheets/=jqfvdc
James

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 04:35:19 PM »

Thank you for the sources, I had some metal suppliers bookmarked, but 1070/1075 were not in the offerings they had.Thanks again for your help, Jim

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry
Chuck Burrows
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »

Admiral Steel does sell 1075/1080 in smaller amounts with a $25.00 minimum - just look under their blade steels.

But IMO the currently available best spring steel is the 1084 from Aldo - the New Jersey Steel Baron - this steel is custom ordered and has VERY high quality control unlike most others that mostly come from China - the latter as far as I know includes Admiral and MSC - my Dad a master machinist made thousands of springs from 1084 and I've made hundreds of springs for various uses along with hundreds of knife blades from 1084/1085 - FWIW 1084 was the steel most often used for car springs prior to the the 1960's when alloys like 5160 became more widely used. Aldo also sell 1075 but it's twice the price of 1084 and for springs there's not a spits worth of difference at least in my experience..

One other thing ALWAYS check the steel breakdown list for the piece you bought - those numbers such as 1075 are only nominal - the chemical makeup including the carbon content can vary - sometimes considerably and that MUST be taken into consideration when heat treating the steel - note how Admiral sells 1075/1080 - I've known guys who bought it over several years and the batches varied considerably - some being 1065 and other being 1085  - the last two number being the percentage of carbon - 1065 = .65% and 1085 = .85% - while nominally close they will heat treat differently for optimum performance

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »

I am glad to hear Admiral Steel finally woke up to the fact that a fast $5 is better than a slow$20. The last time
I called them,their tone was hostile and my call apparently was viewed as a PITA. I no longer need them and the
1075 I now have will probably finish out my life as a metal working craftsman at my current slow/low rate of shop
time.

Bob Roller
mattdog

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »

I recently contacted Admiral about some 1095.  Only available in full sheets.  I asked about 1/2 sheet.  He said "sure, but we'll still charge you for the full sheet - plus a cutting fee"  So I said "I guess I'll take the whole sheet" - but - it's so heavy that it ships on a truck and the shipping is as much as the steel.  !!  I didn't want to invest over $700 and certainly didn't need that much material and don't want to store the leftover so I blew it off.  They aren't very customer friendly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length