Author Topic: 1st horn attempt  (Read 5213 times)

Offline aaronc

1st horn attempt
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:45:08 AM »
Still needs final coats of finishing but you can see what the product is. This was done under guidance so not counting it as first solo build. However, I did do all the carving, sanding, design work. Thanks for looking, - Aaron

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline draken

Re: 1st horn attempt
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:05:46 AM »
Nice job!   I like the design.   I'll bet you're anxious to cover it with scrimshawed designs.
Resist that temptation, and practice on scraps and such first.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
Very nice first horn. It always astounds me how nice a horn some of you guys turn out on the first go-round. Kudos!

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »
I like your horn.  The colors are nice and your plug turned out great.  Not a fan of the
tuning peg plug because you took all that time to make the horn and then stuck a plug
into it that was probably machine made.  Take a few minutes and make your own plug,
then you can say you did it all by hand.  Just my thoughts.
   I was afraid to scrim mine too, but I took my time and thought out what I wanted to do
and you can do it.  Nice work.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »
Rob,
Good Job.
Buck

Captain Greene

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:53 AM »
That is BEAUTIFUL work, my friend. I just finished my first horn, too. It is so much fun to do, I think I have discovered a new hobby! Keep up the great work, and take the advice of the other members here: take your time and plan out your designs that you want and then undertake the task. You can do it. If you built something this beautiful straight off the bat, I know you can finish it just as beautifully!

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
Nice job. Color is perfect.  My second F&I War horn was left a natural off white and the carved end dyed brown. I never scrimmed it exept to put my makers mark on it.
Sometimes less is more.

Scout
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »
Real clean work.  There's a lot to be said for getting the most out of a horn and I think you did.
Andover, Vermont

Offline aaronc

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:40:38 PM »

Thanks for all the comments.   I'm split 60/40 on it however at the moment I am planning on doing some scrim after I do some scratching on a practice piece. Not sure what but if it doesn't turn out great it won't be for lack of planning, I think about things like that probably a bit too much.

Rob, I agree with you on the whole "hand carved entirely" concept and will no doubt do a carved plug in the near future.............but I admittedly like the look of those fiddle keys for some reason.

Real clean work.  There's a lot to be said for getting the most out of a horn and I think you did.

Rich, man thats the whole game isn't it. I have my next 3 horns already at the house and love just holding them and evaluating them to see what can be done. They are nice larger horns and 2 of them really have some meat on them, prime for some extensive throat work. Can't wait! 

Once again thanks for all the comments, I hold the opinions around here in pretty high regard.
- Aaron

- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 02:54:15 AM »
Thats a beautiful horn. Great job! I'm sure this is only the start of many more to come to.  Good luck
Curly

NAF#123

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 01:55:06 AM »
I am starting on my first horn and I have a feeling it's not going to turn out anywhere near as nice as yours. My hat off to you.