Author Topic: Flint's Frolick 2012  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Herb

Flint's Frolick 2012
« on: October 28, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »
Flint had his Frolick October 27, the eighth that I know of.  There were 11 shooters, shooting both black powder rifles and .22's, I don't know why.  Here are four of us, the ones with rifles are the top three and Neill on the left is just there for local color.  We are about to shoot for first place.

I shot my .54 Hawken I built, the only caplock there, and I'd have done better but my eyes had sand in them from the big boys kicking sand in my face.  My .58 fullstock flintlock Hawken is just too heavy for me to shoot offhand any more. We shot the target off Jim's deck.

The target was propped against the back legs of the buffalo target.  Jim said it was 100 to 120 yards away.  That bullet track in the snow below the tail came from a target load of about 22 and a half grains of powder in a .50 flintlock.  I shot 80 grains of Goex 2F.

Here is Flint with the target.  The shot nearest the head won, and mine is up there on the top edge.  Sand in my eyes, you know....  As a result of winning, I must make the target for next year.  I'm going to copy a wooden American target I saw in the Tower of London, I think it was, in 1980, and photographed.

Here are some of the gals.  All of them shoot, but only three shot today.  Carole is holding my rifle.  We had good food and wine afterwards, and another shoot is planned the Saturday a week after Thanksgiving.  Maybe I can get my English Sporting rifle .54 flintlock done by then- can't shoot well with sand in my eyes.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:30:27 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: Flint's Frolick 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 11:05:15 PM »
Great pictures and it looks as though you all had a good time, thanks for sharing with us.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »
Great pics of a high ole time. Thanks for posting and very beautiful country. Oh yea.... the woman look lots better than you guys ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Herb

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »
Here is Dave shooting.

Gavin.

Here is the 2005 target.  I wasn't there, and it could have been shot at 25 yards, don't know.  Dave won this one, his shot is closest to the red ball.  He gave me this target, I don't know who painted it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:32:58 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline heelerau

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
Herb,
        looks like you all had a big old bunch of fun  , Carney and Jean not there?

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Herb

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »
Hi, Gordon.  They came late and Jean did not shoot, can't remember if Carney did, either.
Herb