Author Topic: Smoothbore kits  (Read 7394 times)

ed1215

Smoothbore kits
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:25:17 AM »
Ok I am going to give another shot at building a gun . I have tried In the past without sucess always my fault ..I am leaning towards one of Clay Smiths type G kits had anyone ever built one from his kit ..I was going to go with a fowler from TVM but they only offer 20 gauge I want a 24 gauge ..the biggest problem is I need a long LOP most kits only go to 13 1/2" and that is way to short for me Ideal I need a 15" but can do with 14 1/2" ...any suggestions other then stick with horn making
Thanks
Ed

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Smoothbore kits
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
Check with Mike Brooks.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:58:10 PM »
Check with Mike Brooks.
He doesn't sell kits anymore. :'(
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »
Mike, have you any of those kits left?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »
Biggest challenge is getting a kit with a barrel with enough taper to handle nicely.  Most of the fowling piece kits come with barrels that are better suited to buck and ball guns.  I would ask for bore dimension and O.D. at the muzzle and what a typical finished weight is.  I have half a dozen "fowler" barrels in the basement  that are too thick and heavy for a fowling piece or trade gun.  Anybody want one? ::)
Andover, Vermont

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
Eaeabee1,
Finding Fowler kits is tough if you want anything other Than 20ga. I make 2 to 3 a year and I have started ordering my barrels a year in advance. (I try to have a 2 year inventory). I then have the barrels sent to Dave Keck of Knob Mountain Muzzleloading along with my stock blanks. I have him inlet the barrels and drill the RR hole. If he has a profile I like I will have him profile the butt stock and lock panels also. The fix to your long LOP is to have Dave leave the butt stock square and you can get at least another inch of length. I get most of my furniture from Dave or Tip Curtis. I'm pretty sure you won't find a kit with 15" LOP! Good luck, Bob

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »
Rich, out here we shoot mostly buck and ball. Let me know what you have and how much. Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:20:34 PM »
PM sent on a 46" long, .58 caliber longhammock oct to round and a Getz 20 ga, 46" oct to round in a beautiful American walnut stock. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:11:54 PM »
Ed I suggest you stick to horn making AND build that fowler - you do such a great job on your horns (thanks), so I am sure you will apply the same detail to gun building.  ;)

Sounds as if you are going to build a loooooog gun!

Dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Rootsy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 02:29:33 AM »
Rich,

I would be interested in what you are trying to rehome also.  Email or PM is fine.

Vomitus

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 04:04:26 AM »
    Tom,did you drink too much rain water? It's got acid in it! Mike don't sell kits!...but he's got a chicken ranch. He runs it by hand if the chickens ain't in the mood.Sorry Mike,lol! ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:08:31 AM by Leatherbelly »

ed1215

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 04:05:54 AM »
thanks all hopefully this all works out if not may be looking for a builder

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 04:45:04 PM »
Mike, have you any of those kits left?
No, I don't keep any stock on hand. My carolina "kit" consists of a preshaped stock with the barrell inlet and a pile of sheet brass...... I make all the mounts by hand.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline cmac

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
I would check with Larry Zorne at Mold and Gun Shop. He has some fine kits and he would probably leave out the butt plate inlet if asked. His barrels are some what heavy like a buck and ball gun but not as much as a Colerain. If you want a slim barrel it would probably have to be turned down before inlet or custom ordered.

jmdavis

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 02:40:32 AM »
Have you spoken with Clay. He can answer your questions about these kits pretty well. Since they are fairly new I don't think that you will find a lot of builders.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
Caywood has unfinished guns, at two levels of completion.

Do phone first to find if what you want is actually in stock. Even then don't expect fast delivery.

Good quality, be polite.