Author Topic: "Allow myself to introduce...myself"  (Read 2822 times)

Kcrowley

"Allow myself to introduce...myself"
« on: November 10, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »
First, full credit to Mike Meyers for the subject title.

Second, I've been lurking for a while, and decided it was time to register and join in. I'm relatively new to muzzle-loading, but I've been doing the BP cartridge thing for a while.

My current project is this non-descript, cobbled together conversion. It was given to me as a wall-hanger by my father, but it is in shootable condition, so I've decided to try to bring it back to smoke-belching life. Old, rough, and not very pretty, it'll still throw a .490 round ball pretty straight. I hope to kill a deer or antelope with it someday soon.

If anyone, by some strange coincidence, knows anything about the maker, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

A few more photos of the piece can be seen at my photo site:

http://bit.ly/TyBZcu

Anyway, I look forward to contributing when I can, and learning a lot. kc

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: "Allow myself to introduce...myself"
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »
I don't know enough to comment on this. But that has not stopped me before. Is there initials or a name on the barrel. I really can't see in the picture. If so what are they? The guns looks Dutchy to me. The sling swivles seems military...Thanks  for posting.

Kcrowley

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:12:25 AM »
I definitely should have mentioned there are no markings immediately visible on the piece, other than the little zig-zag decorative lines on the barrel. I have not taken the lock off yet or  removed the stock. That will happen soon. If I find anything, I'll post the info here first!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 02:42:29 AM »
Welcome to ALR Keith, hope you enjoy your stay.

Pretty neat to have that old a rifle that you feel safe in shooting. Certainly has good rifling int he barrel.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson