Author Topic: PRICE OF ROUND BALL  (Read 4578 times)

Offline yip

PRICE OF ROUND BALL
« on: November 17, 2012, 05:11:06 AM »
  I haven't bought round ball in a looong time, man was i shocked at the price. 14.99 at dicks, i hear their the cheapest.I guess its back to the lead pot, but the wife don't like the smoke and stink in the kitchen.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: PRICE OF ROUND BALL
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 05:19:50 AM »
Yip,
With all due respect, I haven't shopped for commercial ball in twenty years or more but I can't believe that Dick's is the cheapest for anything. Get a small fan and blow the smoke and smell out the window if you have to use the kitchen
Mark
Mark

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:37:59 AM »
Boy I wouldn't try melting lead in the HOUSE let alone the kitchen. Drop one of those hot little devils on the hardwood floor and just watch the damage happen! Nope not me. Bob

Offline yip

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 03:47:36 PM »
 i got lead splatter on the stove, the doctor said those knots on my head will be gone soon, guess i'll try the porch next time.

jimc2

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 03:52:54 PM »
Drop one on the linoleum floor right when the wife is watching and has just said be careful >:(

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
Making you own cast lead balls has to be the cheapest way to shoot BP guns.
The initial cost is substantial, but if you shoot several calibers, you recover your investment quickly.
If you only shoot fifty shots a year, purchased round ball is cheaper.
To resolve beatings and rath from the lovely spouse, casting should be done outside (garage) or basement.
Also for your health, proper ventilation is a MUST!
Fred
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:04:27 PM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:05:23 PM »
The best price I have found on precast balls is Price Insanity.

http://priceinsanity.com/product-category/muzzleloading/balls-sabots-and-bullets/page/3/

The navigation is a bit odd - you have to use the "Older Posts" and "Newer Posts" buttons at the bottom of the page. They have Hornadys at $8 to $11 per hundred.

I catch them in a bullet trap full of rubber playground mulch and recast them. Out in my shop, that is.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »
If you travel the shoot circuit at all you can run in  to someone that will sit and cast those little devils one at a time (and deal with the lead) for you.  Works for me. ::) I have seen store prices at over $20. a hundred for .530s.... 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 07:39:54 PM »
I do all my own casting in my basement shop.  I took a large squirrel cage fan from a gas fired furnace and mounted it to the ceiling in my shop.  I closed off all of the intake ports as best I could with fibre board, and have one with a quick detach port.  I cut a six inch hole through the wall of the house to my back yard and installed a piece of black stove pipe.  My shop is 22' long, and when I turn on the fan, and light a match at the far end of the shop, the smoke makes a bee line for the fan.  This is also good for when I'm using finishing solvents.  I have to open the shop window at the other end of the shop just an inch or so, or the exhaust fan will extinguish the house's gas hot water tank.
About twice a year, I turn on the fan, open it's door, and use my air compressor and a long tube attachment to send all of the dust that accumulates in the rafters outside.  I used to think the dust was from our cat, but shes long gone now, and the dust still keeps accumulating.  Must be something else causing it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

jim moore

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 09:09:44 PM »
If you want hand cast roundball contact
Eddie May
159 Ridley Road
Chatsworth, Ga. 30705
706-581-8225
call for price
last month I ordered another 1000 rb  .562 for $80 +$12 postage(shipped flat rate)
I've ordered 10,000 plus rounds in several different diameters from Eddie and have always been satisfied
price subject to change with lead cost and of course what dia. you need