Author Topic: Small file & Scraper handles CHEAP  (Read 42796 times)

SuperCracker

Small file & Scraper handles CHEAP
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »
This may be one of those things that everyone but me already knew, but at woodcraft I found some great little wooden handles for smaller files, scrapers and probably checkering tools. Best of all they're dirt cheap. $5 for 10.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2001119/60/pegs-classic-shaker-10.aspx

I've made a couple of small scrapers and tiny chisels using them already and they are perfect. Drill a hole in the end and press it in. It would probably be a good idea to use or make some kind of little ferrule to keep it from eventually splitting but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

They have them in oak too,but they're much more expensive, at almost $0.80 each.   ::)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:37:02 PM by Shane T »

Offline BJH

Re: Small file & Scraper handles CHEAP
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:14:18 AM »
I make a lot of handles from old broom handle matieral, salvaged from the trash, AKA free. I do have a lathe, and turn them down to the size I need. I also will neck them down to a handy size for a piece of tubeing to be pressed/hammered on for a ferrule. I bet I have only bought two or so file handles in my life, as well as other handles. BJH
BJH

SuperCracker

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
I don't have a lathe so I  had been filing round stock faceted to make handles, but they still didn't look very good. So it was nice to find these good looking little handles for cheap.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:24:09 AM »
I made a faceted file handle today from a 5/8"dowel and
used a bench grinder to facet it. Worked fine and looks good.
Use a coarse wheel.

Bob Roller

tyro

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 03:57:54 AM »
I usually glue tangs with epoxy and it doubles to keep the handle from splitting. On a tool for really rough use wrap wire around the end...make a 1" loop lay it lengthwise  on your with a bit of the bitter end protruding, wrap from tool end to user end about 1/2". then snip off wire from supply leaving 1" and tuck that through the loop grasp the bitter end you left at top and pull loop under wire wraps, snip off waste and you have a cool looking wire ferrule that's really tough.
 I used to turn down dowels to make fishing lures and plugs with my hand drill drill a hole and chuck up a bur the  right size and works with files sandpaper and carving knives(don't forget to put handle on the files even if they are ugly unturned ones. You really dont want the drill pushing the file through your palm...wanna see my scars? )TY

Offline yip

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:42:45 PM »
 i use golf balls, just drill a hole a little smaller than the shank of the file or scraper, and wala, handles !

blaksmth

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 10:34:02 AM »
 An empty rifle case with a fired primer, .223 for small files makes a good handle fill it with fiberglass and slide it in or if the file is large enough the neck will hold it solid too.

AZshooter

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »
An empty rifle case with a fired primer, .223 for small files makes a good handle fill it with fiberglass and slide it in or if the file is large enough the neck will hold it solid too.

Yep - did that a bunch, but used appropriately sized plastic wall anchors - fit into the case mouth and hold the tang plenty tight.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
Patron tequila corks. Ask a bartender or two to save them.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:54:22 AM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 09:06:16 PM »
For files that have a relatively round tang, such as a triangular file, I use EMPTY CO 2 cartriges from my Crosman pellet pistol.  I drill the pierced hole out to 9/64" and drive the cartridge down onto the file.  It's very comfortable in the hand.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 02:44:56 AM »
If you know any drummers, they are always breaking drumsticks, which are hickory, by the way.  My son has given me a lifetime supply of his broken ones - which are perfect for small tool handles. 

inlikeflint

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »
I have used old cheap screw drivers from yard sales.  You heat up the shaft with a torch, pull the plastic handle off, then jamb it over a file tail and whack it with a mallet to keep it on.  Old philips are perfect for this.  John

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 01:55:20 AM »
I never thought of Shaker pegs for tool handles.   I just hang my hats and coats on them.   

As for tool handles and everything else I need to make of wood,  they come from scrap curly maple.   I am sure at point, someone is going to wonder why all my shop made tools are from very expensive curly maple.  ;) 

John A. Stein

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 07:53:14 AM »
Those plastic hollow rods used to adjust venetian blinds work great--put some epoxy in for swiss file handles. Cut to a comfortable length.  John Stein

ole one shot

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 10:05:50 PM »
just ordered .........been looking for some long palmers that I would not have to hock my house for......thanks

10thumbs

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 03:51:16 AM »
 ...and there's corn cobs.

Offline Angus

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »
For smaller files, I have used air compressor hose.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 03:47:09 AM »
A neighbor who works in a winery tasting room just came by and left a paper shopping bag ful of champagne corks. CORK corks, no plastic. I'm set for a couple more lifetimes.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 05:46:34 AM »
I'm with Top Jaw.  My son is also a drummer.  Those hickory sticks are great for small files and plentiful.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »
I'm with Top Jaw.  My son is also a drummer.  Those hickory sticks are great for small files and plentiful.

Jeff

One of the best sets of tiny files I have were made in China and are indispensable in lock work.
Handles were made from furniture dowels.I also have other files with larger dowel rod handles.

Bob Roller

wilkie

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 12:49:09 AM »
I use old broom and mop handles and different sizes of dowel rods depending on the size of the files.  After cutting to length I clamp the handles in a small vise and drill a hole in the center of the handle on my drill press.  I use drill bits and a modified wood screw countersink to drill the holes in the handles.  They may not be exactly in the center but are close enough.  To store my files I use part of the grill from an old air conditioner placed on a small plastic trash can or waste basket.  This grill will hold a lot of files vertically and has steel ribs about 3/8 inches apart for the length of the grill and the width can be cut for what you need.  Wood handles hold the files much better than corncobs and can be spray painted yellow for brass and red for iron or whatever color you want.  The different shapes and sizes and colors can be grouped together to make it easier to find the file you want for the job to be done.  Also the entire collection can be move if needed.