Author Topic: Quick loader ??  (Read 4586 times)

Offline tim crowe

Quick loader ??
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:26:25 AM »
 A couple of years back someone posted a  quick loader of wood, it held 3 shots?. It was very cleverly thought out.  I have searched but  have come up empty, would anyone remember who it was or the link? If I remember correctly there was also  a wallet with a small powder horn that was posted . The whole idea if I recall was to go into the woods without any extra than necessary. Any help would be most appreciated .

Micah2

Re: Quick loader ??
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »
Hey I made a crude speedloader for my .62 gun.  Find a piece of hardwood and cut out a small piece (1.5" x 3.5'') and drill three holes in it big enough for your patched round ball.  Size the bit to the ball and it will fit good with a patch.  If its too tight ream the holes with sandpaper.  There are nicer toothed holed loaders but I needed mine for hunting and its perfect.

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »
Micah
I missed your post. That is what I was thinking also, 4 shots that would fit in a pocket already to go. I have been working on one.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »
Here's something to think about.  You do all of your target shooting and sighting-in activities from a big range box, and load with a stainless steel range rod.  Then you shoot your trail walks from a hunting hag and horn.  So when you go hunting, you take your minimal set (loading block and charging tubes).  You have developed almost no muscle memory, and when you are faced with a "must load this next shot fast", you fumble and make mistakes that cost you your opportunity for the coup de grace, and your wounded buck gets up and runs away.
That's a stereotypical scenario for sure, and it wasn't meant as a criticism of your loading and shooting regime.  What surely works best for me is to use all of the same equipment for all of one's shooting.  That way, your hands will fly automatically to your accoutrements and you'll load your rifle instinctively.  I load a bullet board with lubricated precut patches and balls when I hunt, but I practice with it all so when the time comes, as in the unfortunate scenario I described above, you can load your rifle fast without hardly taking your eyes off the buck.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
Micah2,

I am not familiar with this type of device.  Are both the powder and patched ball in the loader or does the loader just hold powder?  Or is the patched ball used as a plug over the powder chamber in the loader?  I use some brass powder tubes I made up and a bullet board for a "light carry", but I'm not sure I understand the "quick loader" you are describing.  Thanks.

DC
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:29:05 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:36:11 AM »
Dave, Taylor,Micah,
I envisioned a maybe 3x5 size wood case w/ a wood plug to keep the powder in, with the patched ball over top. Remove plug dump powder push ball through into barrel. Someone in 2006 made a loader out of
Walnut that looked pretty cool.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:13 AM »
I was mistaken, and thought you were referring to a bullet board, or a loading block as I've heard them called.  My opinion has not changed though.  Whatever system you develop for loading, use it all the time, or you'll get befuddled at the worst time.
I load always from horn and pouch.  But then, I use a short starter too, heh heh!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »
Taylor
I was trying to  boil it down to the minimum stuff to grab and go. Where I hunt during late season the truck is only 150 yards away and saw no need to haul it all to a stand. Some nights after work are only 45 min in the stand before shooting time is over.  Driving over, getting dressed to go out takes longer than the wait in the stand after work.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:56:20 AM »
i think Scott Sibley is making those. look over at the CLA site,I think he's selling them,kinda cool. May buy one for yuk's and giggles! 4 shot's,.50 cal and under.(just looked it up,page 5 of 28)

I agree whole heartedly D. Taylor! When at the range working in a gun,I have the range box with me and ALL the $#@* in it. I still do all my loading from the pouch and horn. the box has all the different goodie's I'll need to work up a load.

And It'll be said again...It's NOT practice makes perfect,it's PERFECT practice makes perfect!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:33:03 AM by pathfinder »
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!