Author Topic: ALR Library Gunmaker : NIcholas Beyer  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Library Gunmaker : NIcholas Beyer
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:47:01 PM »
Please add your comments about him and his guns here. There is one gun in the library attributed to him.

Click here:    http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=30.0
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 04:48:35 PM by hurricane »

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: ALR Library Gunmaker : NIcholas Beyer
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 05:29:54 PM »
From my untrained eye, it looks a lot like a Baum,  Is he one of the Susquehanna builders, are they possible contemporaries.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »
Great example of a Beyer. I love that architecture and the carving. I will have to dig around and see if I can find my pics of a Beyer in the Cody Museum. Nord Thanks for saring Mr. N. Beyer's work with us.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »
Bill, Nicholas Beyer worked in Lebanon County Pennsylvania.  Lebanon County was actually Lancaster County before 1813 and the three important gunsmiths from that school, J.P. Beck, Nicholas Beyer and Christian Beck, all have classic Lancaster architecture (the two Becks always did and Beyer rifles did in his earlier work).

The rifle that is pictured is probably one made by Beyer a little later in his career, because of the slight roman nose and the incised carving.  If you were to actually hold a Baum and a Beyer at the same time (to me) there would be little similarity between the two.  Beyer made a more substantial gun.  Wider butt and earlier in style.

I recommend that contemporary builders spend as much time at as possible studying the originals, with gun shows such as the Baltimore gun show being the best on the East Coast.  Most collectors will let you pick them up to see the details.  It takes a while to learn them, but it is time well spent, you will pick up details never seen in the books.

Just my opinion.

Frank