Author Topic: Markings on old ball molds?  (Read 4578 times)

Online Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Markings on old ball molds?
« on: December 24, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »
I've been on the lookout for an old round ball mold to include in my possible bag.  (.490 if anyone wants to send me one for Christmas!).  I have noticed many old molds have numbers stamped on them that do not seem to correlate to the ball diameter.  I've seem molds stamped with 100, 175, 180, 190, 200, etc. usually on the inside flat of the handle, near the hinge.  See below.   Anyone know the significance of these numbers?

Sorry about the picture size....  couldn't seem to enlarge them.

-Ron
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 07:04:53 PM by KyFlinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Levy

Re: Markings on old ball molds?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 07:07:19 PM »
I believe the number on the old bag molds is for the number of balls the you can cast from a pound of lead.  I bought one recently from a friend and it had the #18 on it.  I was told that this was .649 cal.  It will be good for a 16 gauge smoothbore.  Woodsrunner has already laid claim to it for his 16 gauge fowler.  I believe there is a table in the back of the Dixie Gun Works catalogue that demystifies it.

James Levy

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »
I would agree with Levy - Unless it has been re-cut it is probably the number of balls to the pound.  They just didn't seem to use the decimal part of an inch caliber system back then.................................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 07:30:24 AM »
A mould casting 40 balls to the pound would mic about .488. Not quite .490, but close.

Online Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »
Thanks guys.....  that's it.  I Googled "lead balls to the pound" and found a table of sizes 1 thru 180 to the pound.  www.lasc.us/Brennan_GaugeWeight.htm

Yep, JD....  I'll be looking for a 39 or 40 now!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 10:00:56 PM »
In the period the number of balls to the pound was much more meaningful to the gun owner than "caliber" would have been. 40 shots to a pound of related directly to the cost of shooting the rifle and to its power. I doubt many gun owners had any real concept of 1/100th of an inch and surely no way to measure that closely.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

hyltoto

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 05:42:33 AM »
balls per pound (gauge) required a much less precise measurement system than caliber. You only need a balance and weights. Imagine what the cost of a vernier caliper or micrometer would have been in the hand-made era.