Author Topic: Martin rifle on Contemporary Blogspot  (Read 8688 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Martin rifle on Contemporary Blogspot
« on: December 06, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »
Check out Allan's rifle on the blog this morning.  Very nicely done Allan.  Correct me if I'm in error, but it appears to me to be an interpretation of something Valentine Fondersmith might have made.  I have always admired that patch box.  In fact, I used it shamelessly on my Voluptuous Virginia rifle.  Great job Allan.  Normally I'd have been critical of artificial patina, but this rifle has a lot of warmth and charm.  I like it a lot.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Collector

Re: Martin rifle on Contemporary Blogspot
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »
Allen built this smooth-rifle piece for me and I took delivery at the 2005 CLA Show.  You'll see elements of Newcomer, Fondersmith and a few other great Lancaster builders in it.  It's built around a very early custom Getz barrel, numbered in the 400's, as I recall and being 48 inches,swamped octagon to round, ~1-3/16" at the breech X .652 smooth bored.  Don Getz told me that was their first '16 gauge' offering and I was very lucky and proud to have come by that barrel and to have had such a talented builder render it into such a fine longrifle.

I learned a very great and important lesson during a phone conversation with Earl Lanning during this build (2001-2005) and that was having come to a basic understanding of what you want, with your builder, to just get the heck out of his/their way- you'll likely end up with something that is more than you paid for and something that you'll both be proud of.  This longrifle speaks to both the truth of Earl's opinion and his advice.

To Jim Chambers credit, the interchangeability of some of his parts permitted us to use a flat cock on a round faced plate (another Fondersmith-ish element) and I remember personally thanking him, at the 2005 CLA Show, for providing that in his lock offerings.  It's the small details like that which make for such enjoyable variation and nuanced deviation from the norm.

I didn't want a copy of anything and we spent a great deal of time discussing small elements, such as the tang carving, which I believe is also derived from a Fondersmith piece.  I did want the bells and whistles, at the time, but great basic architecture was paramount and John Newcomer provided that basis.  Everything else you see and sense in this longrifle is pure Allen Martin  

This longrifle was the genesis of my friendship with Allen and while I've not commissioned another longrifle, from him, a one-of-a-kind .416 Rigby which started out as a topic of conversation on Mausers in 2005, is nearing completion, in his very capable hands.  What can I say, I'm bolt-trash and a heretic.  And yes, Earl Lanning's advice is as true as ever.  It pretty much comes down to this- if Allen's not happy with some element of the build, even the smallest of details, then ultimately, I know, that I'm not going to be either.  I'm thinking a Reading piece after the Rigby is completed.

I relinquished ownership of this fine piece in 2011 and it now resides in Germany with another very proud owner.  As I understand it, he picked it up off of Allen's table, never let go of it and never put it back down.  

A fine rifle will do that to you.

D. Taylor Sapergia... not that I'm prejudiced, or anything like that, but you have a good eye.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:58:08 AM by Collector »

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 04:41:10 AM »
Curious point about Allen's tang carving, inspired by Fondersmith's...  
There's a duck gun by Barbar, #249 in Great British Gunmakers, with a more sophisticated version of that carving, suggesting a possible connection of some kind between the Barbar gun and Fondersmith.   ???

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:30:04 AM by J. Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:36:39 AM »
Very nice and proof positive of Allens broad abilities. He  can jump from Lancaster to Lehigh to Rigby. Love the gun.   Smylee

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »
My eyes are drawn to the pbox finial and wrist carving and the beauty of it locks me there.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »
Nice gun, great archetecture. The tang carving is the best part, I really like it. I wanna see this .416 Rigby when it's done!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »
............yes, that's beaut........I wish i could hold it and look closer to the details...........

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »
Very clean lines.Wish I could build like that.
Eric Smith

eddillon

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »
Could someone post a link to the "blogspot"?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Collector

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »
These photographs are perhaps as fine a set of photographs, of this longrifle, as can be found anywhere.  Thanks Jan Riser!

Certainly the large bore and long swamped octagon to round barrel profile contributed to the fine proportions of this piece, but it's difficult to ascertain, from them, how that profile converts to it's actual weight.  When completed, this longrifle weighed right around 6.3 pounds.  Light, balanced just ahead of the lock and a lively handling and very instinctively pointing piece.  The low, traditional sights, lined-up just like double beads on a fine shotgun, when mounted.      

If you haven't noticed, an almost imperceptible index mark on the head of the front lock bolt (Photos 19 & 20 of 29) which aligns a small notch in the bolt to accommodate the tapered ramrod, provides a very subtle hint to just how slender, a build, this smooth-rifle really is.

As I look at the photographs, the side plate is another Fondersmith influence.  At the time, I wanted something that was a step off and away from the 'typical' Lancaster builds and Fondersmith, recommended by Allen, was the eventual direction that our conversations and elements of this project took.  On the whole, I think, that Fondersmith is STILL overlooked.  As I recall, Allen had just handled and examined an original Newcomer and when the layout started for my stock, that experience certainly influenced and inspired Allen.    

The selection of the blank and the finish, described as warm and charming is, again, pure Allen Martin.  Occasional, but liberal applications of Howard's Feed-N-Wax (Bees Wax & Orange Oi) Polish and Conditioner on the wood and metal, over the years, probably helped that warm and charming finish along, a bit.  I've used it on all of my firearms, for many years.  

I also remember calling Allen and recounting my conversation with Earl, to him.

Everything that happened after that, can best be described as... magic.    
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:13:51 AM by Collector »

Offline art riser

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
All the credit for the great photography goes to Jan Riser.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »
Not sure there's much left to say about Allen's work. I consider him one of the very best, and a gentleman into the bargain.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

eddillon

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 03:20:17 AM »
Thanks for posting the blogspot link.  reading through the thread I spotted another point that raises a question.  Noticed that a German buyer bought the rifle off of Allen's table.  I recently completed a 1760 Belgian pistol a la Ron Scott.  Built it as a gift for a good friend in Turkey.  I don't expect anyone here to have knowledge of Turkish gun laws but perhaps someone might know the ins and outs of shipping such a piece out of the good ole USA.  It is a .54 smoothbore.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »
I may be wrong but what I have read about out of country USPS shipments of antique guns as defined by the Federal Firearms Act, you have no problems. Now the other end may be a different story and it would be up to that end to let you know if its legal for him to receive an antique gun like the one you intend to ship him.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 03:35:29 AM »
When I send muzzle loaders to America, they are all labelled 'antique flintlock'.  No problems at all.  But that's Canada and the USA.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.