Author Topic: Outrageous Roman Nose  (Read 18321 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Outrageous Roman Nose
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
Here is a dandy. See a inlay on barrel, but don't know if it is signed.
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/kentucky-rifle-al3322/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:49:46 PM by Avlrc »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Outrageous Roman Nose
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »
Look at the similarity between this rifle and the Levi Shreckengost rifle in the library.  It leaves little question
as to the maker.  Yet another Shreckengost rifle.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »
Rob,
It would great on your wall!
Buck

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »
Another good candidate for some expert forestock restoration. When such a job is done well it makes the rifle much more desireable. To me anyway. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:07:51 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »
neat how the rear sight is peened together... brass and steel... interesting idea.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:44:08 PM »
Another good candidate for some expert forestock restoration. When such a job is done well it makes the rifle much more desireable. To me anyway. 
Another foot of barrelwould help too

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »
Good chance that this is one gun that went west. The big bore and shortened barrel tend to support that idea. Sure looks like an S'gost and a pretty one, at that. A little museum quality restoration on the wood and it will be fine addition to anyone's collection.
Dick

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »
Rob:
You have the best pictures of Schreck furniture patterns. Do any match the patchbox or side plate?? If so, you should own this.
Hurricane

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »
Rob:
You have the best pictures of Schreck furniture patterns. Do any match the patchbox or side plate?? If so, you should own this.
Hurricane

The Levi Shreckengost rifle in the ALR library has some of the very same work on it.  Same patchbox lid/release, same trim along the buttplate, variation on same sideplate and piece under cheek.  The
architecture is dead on and the short heavy barrel is done the same way.  The patchbox is different, but
from the same school of thought.  Also the 4 pointed inlays on the wrist are similar. Also use of the steel buttplate is unique and shared. The cheekpiece has 3 grooves like the Levi Shreckengost rifle in the
Library also.  I was at first concerned about the fact that it carries a J.P. Moore lock, but
interestingly, we have seen another Shreckengost rifle with a barrel marked J.P. Moore, so I am thinking
that Shreck must have been buying parts from him.  Thanks to AVLRC for sharing the info.  The rifle
is not signed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:36:50 AM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
Thought I would share a photo of Levi's brother Lincoln G. Shreckengost also a gunsmith.
Photo taken at Devil's Den on the battlefield at Gettysburg, PA.  Lincoln is on the far right.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:08:07 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
Not trying to change the subject. But that is one those photos that you can see or at least imagine to see ghostly images in the background. That is a great picture.

• Library_mod
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »
I noticed several of the subjects are wearing lapel ribbons. Do you know what they likely represent?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 07:44:14 PM »
They are GAR Ribbons.  Photo was taken at the Gettysburg GAR Reunion in 1938.  He accompanied his
brother Levi to the reunion.  Levi was in a wheelchair and attended at the age of 98 that year.  I don't know
who the others are.  Photo by famous Gettysburg photographer Wm. H. Tipton.  The photo is numbered
but the Tipton catalog for that number is unfortunately missing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:48:46 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »

Lincoln G. Shreckengost; back row; third from left
Levi Shreckengost; center row, seated; far left

I.O.O.F Hall; Putneyville, PA circa. 1905-1910...my Grandpa Shreckengost, and Great Grandpa Shreckengost in center row; center.
                                Shreck

• Library_mod
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 11:03:46 PM »
Can these pictures be added to the Schreckengost Exhibit so they will remain togther.....not the gun.
Hurricane

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »
Can these pictures be added to the Schreckengost Exhibit so they will remain togther.....not the gun.
Hurricane
Yes you can.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:50:50 PM »
What is chained to the triggerguard?  I haven't seen one before.

Offline Buck

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 12:31:36 AM »
Rob,
Looks like a flash guard or nipple cover.
Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 01:57:13 AM »
If flash guard why removable. Why cover nipple. Doesnt hammer do that. I dont get it. Help

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 03:52:01 AM »
A friend of mine metal detects all of the time. He has found a few lead minnie balls that have a dimple in them that looks like a nipple would fit in it perfect. He says that some of the soldiers would take a minnie ball and make it fit over a nipple.They would keep it in place by resting the hammer or cock on it. He said they would do this when they was not going to be using their rifle for a while. These lead minnie balls was the easiest thing to make a nipple protector from. I don't know, but that is what he says.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:52:54 AM by Avlrc »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 04:08:56 AM »
SO....... A safety maybe?
JIM

Offline Buck

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 05:20:32 AM »
I wouldn't say a safety, I would guess to keep a preloaded charge dry from the elements. When the intruder or predator comes around all you have to do is place the cap and fire. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to make sense.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
Great photo of Lincoln G. Shreckengost holding the swivel breech he and his father Wm made.  Signed on one barrel Lincoln G. Shreckengost and on the other William G. Shreckengost.

Me holding Linc's swivel breech.  I was honored just to hold it and have my picture taken.  It's been passed
down through the generations and still in their family.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:20:45 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 07:44:27 PM »
Mr. Suzkat,
  Wow! old Linc looks great in the second pic...hey, wait just one minute ;D
  Thanks for the pics, and of course the info.
                                           Denny

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »
Truely awesome Rob! Thank you for sharing these great moments and family ties!    Joel
Joel Hall