Author Topic: Outrageous Roman Nose  (Read 18315 times)

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: Outrageous Roman Nose
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 12:40:36 AM »
Rob,
Thats a great rifle. As Don Stith would say "it would only look better if it was on my wall" or "the only problem is it lives at the wrong address."
Buck

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 03:17:16 AM »
If I still owned the old Shrekengost rifling bench I would have grabbed it

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »
If I still owned the old Shrekengost rifling bench I would have grabbed it
Don. Did you by chance diagram that bench?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »
Probably have pictures of it somewhere, but not sure where to start looking

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 05:09:33 AM »
I've been told by multiple persons that there were 3 known rifling benches from the shop of Wm & Lincoln Shreckengost.  I've located 2 and the 3rd has been a
challenge to find.  I had the opportunity to visit the John Heinz regional history museum in Pittsburgh today.  On the fourth floor in the Special Exhibitions on display are two Shreckengost rifles made by William.  They are inaccurately documented as having one been made by S.C. Shreckengost.  I find no record of
him being a gunsmith.  His name is on the barrel as often Wm put the names of
who he built the rifles for on the barrel, but it is clearly William's work and one of
the most beautifully engraved and inlayed rifles I have seen from his shop. 
    Dr. Whisker references a rifle with barrel marked Benjamin Schrecengost.
If anyone could share information on the whereabouts of this rifle, I would be
very appreciative.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 04:48:59 PM »
Paul E. Wog tells me that Samuel C. Schreckengost was a nephew of Wm Shreckengost and civil war veteran.  A member of the 155th PA Vols Zouave unit he was wounded through the lungs at Stoneman's Switch VA .  He lived until 1875, the wounds shortened his life.  He may have worked for Wm, but at what
capacity we do not know.  Likely the rifle on display at the Heinz Museum is a
presentation rifle made by Samuel's "Samson's" uncle.

The S.C. Schreckengost marked rifle is on top in these photos.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:22:29 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 08:49:09 PM »
I like the outrageous faux stripe on the top rifle! (to keep this post directed slightly to the subject post, I used the word "outrageous" in my reply)  ::) Where did you say the Heinze museum is located Rob? Looks like a must go visit place if I ever get out that way. One of the coolest things I find about the Schreckengost family is in the name itself. It is such a name that is hard to mistake for another. I would hazzard an assumption that anyone using this name would be closely related.
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
Joel,  The John Heinz Regional History Center is on Smallman St in downtown Pittsburgh about a
half hour drive from the KRA meeting in June.  Well worth the visit.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 01:20:20 AM »
Thanks Rob, you have a Merry Christmas!
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »
This rifle has some interesting features particularly the steel triggerguard and steel buttplate.  The triggerguard bow is 1.25 inches narrowing to 3/16ths then flaring to 5/8th at the full curl at rear.  The rear sight
appears to be adjustable up and down  by turning the star shaped brass piece under it's rear edge.
The nosecap is made of horn as is the patchbox release button.  50 Caliber 28.5 inch barrel.  Barrel is straight taper 1 1/8th at breech to 1" at muzzle.  There is a block stamp W on the barrel on the left flat.  Does anyone know of a barrel maker who used that marking?

Levi Shreckengost among his beehives and cabbage, date unknown.  Obviously still affected by his
wounds and stay at Andersonville.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:24:19 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2012, 05:24:51 AM »
I think i am seeing a moon, boot and heart in the patchbox.  Any guesses about the meaning of the boot or is it something else like a scroll?

Online jdm

• member 2
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 06:42:57 AM »
Rob, I'm one of those guys that doesn't think the designs are always about symbolism, especially the later guns. I think sometimes it was just the makers idea of art. Maybe he thought the patch box needed more piercings.  I do like the rifle . I've always been a sucker for a roman nose.   JIM
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
Jim. Even the man in the moon has a roman nose on this one!

Offline Buck

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 05:56:06 PM »
Rob,
Maybe a harp.
Buck

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »
A harp.....that's a very good guess Noel! Rob, that trigger guard is really interesting! Those southern gunsmiths could surely take lessons looking at that one! That is one cool rifle! Lots of interest in it. The maker really walked to the beat of a different drummer.
Joel Hall

Offline Buck

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 07:18:22 PM »
Thanks Joel, once in a while I get lucky. Rob, every time I look at this rifle I like it more and more. Jim, I tend to disagree with that theory. It must have meant something to him or the customer otherwise it wouldn't have come to mind.
Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 08:25:36 PM »
Couple pics of toe and wearplate.  The patchbox release button in the toeplate is made of the same horn as the nosecap.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:26:35 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
These so called "wear plates" are frequently a cover for a big
foul up when the ram rod drill came thru the bottom of the stock.

Bob Roller

Online jdm

• member 2
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 02:47:49 AM »
Rob, I've seen several rifles by the Kuntz family that have horn or wood used for the patch box release button. I always thought that it was a Nice added feature.

[quote author=Buck . Jim, I tend to disagree with that theory. It must have meant something to him or the customer otherwise it wouldn't have come to mind.
 Noel,     You know how I hate it when you disagree !   I think on some rifles there is a lot of symbolism. Especially on the early ones.  On some of the late ones I would guess the maker was just trying to make them look pretty and they did.
JIM
JIM

Offline Buck

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 05:18:15 AM »
Jim,
A friendly disagreement of course. Be well and a Happy New Year to you and the family!
Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »
Picture of combs

Offline Buck

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »
Rob,
The other rifle looks like a beauty also.
Buck

Offline aaronc

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 01:09:39 AM »
Enjoyed this thread,......great pics.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »
Here is the original worm that was on the ramrod of the outrageous roman nose rifle.