Author Topic: Percussion, halfstock barrel.  (Read 3378 times)

wmaser

Percussion, halfstock barrel.
« on: December 25, 2012, 01:33:33 AM »
Just today, an old fellow from Greene county PA. gave me an old halfstock rifle barrel that he'd had on a shelf in his barn all his life . He said the stock and some other hardware had all disappeared over the 8o plus years that he could remember.
The barrel is 39" long, straight octagon, 1" across the flats with a hook breach. the bore is .375 with eight, very deep lands and grooves. I have not determined the rate of twist yet. The underbarrel rib is 24" long and appears to be riveted and soldered on. It holds two soldered ramrod pipesThere is one slotted barrel lug. The only marking I could find is on the left side flat. It appears to be the last three letters of a name. It is upside down OELY.
Does anyone have any idea who the maker might be. It seems like a plains rifle style but not a Hawken. I think they usually had two barrel wedges. Vincent?, Leman? Tyron? I'll try to post a picture if I can find a camera.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Percussion, halfstock barrel.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
Check that barrel to make sure there is not a long forgotten load in it.

Bob Roller

wmaser

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 05:38:25 PM »
That's the first thing I did. Thanks.

wmaser

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 10:19:08 PM »

Well, I found some more letters on that barrel. It is upside down WORLY. After a little searching on line . I found this:

Jesse Worley

School: Berks

Jeese Worley was a gun maker and owner of a gun barrel factory along the Wyomissing Creek in Cumru Township from 1788 until 1838. Two of his sons, John and Henry worked in the factory making gun barrels until 1890. Rifles signed with J. Worley or J.W. are found to have the classic Berks County “Roman-nose” stock and a Haga style patchbox design.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 10:24:28 PM »
 On that subject, years ago I helped a couple of Boy Scouts with a project of clean up some old muzzleloaders in our local museum. They had been long neglected, and were in danger of becoming old junk instead of antique guns. Upon checking the guns to find out if they had been donated loaded, we found three that were loaded. The powder, and ball, was removed, and the powder lit with a match to see if it was still good. All specimens went off with the first match. All these guns had no ramrod attached to them so the museum curator at the time assumed they were unloaded.

Hungry Horse

wmaser

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 10:41:29 PM »
I know what you're saying. When I worked at Gettysburg National Park. preparing battlefield pickups for display in the museum. Many firearms had to be unloaded. In some cases, multiple loads were found, one on top of another. I did not have access to any artillery shells but I'm told they were still very explosive.