Author Topic: "A" weight barrels  (Read 4718 times)

Offline bob in the woods

"A" weight barrels
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:29:28 AM »
I'm starting to gather parts for a .36 cal rifle I want to start in the fall. I built one in 13/16th straight oct. and found it too nose heavy. I'm now trying to decide on whether to go with a 42 in or 38 in A weight swamped. I'd like to use the longer barrel if it will balance. The small cal. are a world of their own .My usual experience is with .50 B and .54 C weight 42 inchers. All suggestions are welcome.

Offline elk killer

Re: "A" weight barrels
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:37:34 AM »
i have 3 southern rifles with .40 cal A weights all 44 inches long,,they hold and shoot a lot better than im able to hold...the balance is just wonderful,,and any of them are a pleasure to carry all day..i like a .40 for 1 reason is you can use a 3/8ths rod,, but i use tapered rods anyway so proably dont make that much of a difference,,dont ask why i have 3,,,
only flintlocks remain interesting..

don getz

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:42:54 AM »
Bob.....If you are happy with the way those 42" barrels balance, both the 50 B weight, and 54 C weight, the A weight
of these barrels should balance at the same point.  They are done with the same profile, just smaller dimensions in an
A weight barrel.   Same thing will hold true for the 38" series of barrels,  the A,B,C & D weights should all balance at the same point, no matter what calibre......Don

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 06:20:30 AM »
Thank you very much Don. That never occurred to me. The .50 B weight is probably my favorite, so I'll stick to that profile in the smaller caliber. One A in 42 it will be.

Bentflint

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »
Bob, I have 2 44” .40 A weights in the works. Both are inlet and the locks installed. Blanks have been band sawed to shape. They feel good already. The .36 wont add that much weight to an A. I’d think you’d be safe with the A weight at any length you like.

Don, I never thought of that. Thanks for pointing that out to us.

Bruce Everhart