Author Topic: Beck 090318-1 Restoration  (Read 8552 times)

Offline nord

Beck 090318-1 Restoration
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
Restoration is presented without committee comment. Our reasoning is that restoration is subjective as each of us have differing opinions and standards. In any case the restoration adds another layer to the history of this fine rifle.

====================================================================
The Most interesting to me is the INRI inscription on the breech...Please note this is most likely an 1800 to 1810 made ( Near the end of his life) gun so look at the amount of "Stars" between the letters. This one has 3-3-3   I really think there was some cryptic code going on here possible to date the year the rifle was made or the # of rifles made... Older guns of Beck's have less "stars" We really need someone to check into this ( as long as it's not L. Kaufka....Ha! Ha!)  There are some before & afters of the restoration / conservation work also.  In the near future I will be converting this back to original flintlock condition. As for now all of the cracking & damage has been fully stabilized with museum quality conservation work and the "hack"  horse glue repairs done in the past replaced with quality conservation / restoration work.  I can tell you that one of the most humbling experiences I have ever had was when I removed the barrel from the stock and glanced at that bottom breech inscription...That took my breath away!........ to have that opportunity to have seen this history live in my workshop!
=====================================================================
Original photos as submitted in 2009:

=====================================================================
Restoration & Comparison Photos 2012:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:13:14 PM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.