Author Topic: 121230-2 TN (Unkn.)  (Read 9901 times)

Offline nord

121230-2 TN (Unkn.)
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »

Comments:

Well-made Tennessee rifles, particularly when curly maple stocked, are always great additions to the museum. Whiile I am not an expert on TN rifles in general, this one shows strong TN characteristics in its neatly made iron furniture and long tang. I think there is a good possibility the barrel has been shortened a little at the breech, and the cast pewter nose cap may be a period replacement for the original cap.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know much about these rifles, but liked this one when it was shown on the forum. Everything seems to be right about it (with XXXX's possible exceptions) and I agree with moving it onto the Library.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure we will never know who made a lot of these Southern iron-mounted rifles, but the architecture and workmanship on this one are quite enough to warrant its addition to the Library.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't think that we will ever get enough southern iron guns to suit us. This one is no exception, it has a number of unique features that make it very attractive. There is a whole world of research to be done on these makers and the Library is an excellent place to start.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:42:01 AM by rich pierce »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.