Author Topic: Morrison Duplex 130106-1  (Read 9348 times)

Offline nord

Morrison Duplex 130106-1
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:34:33 AM »
Submitted for consideration to the Library & Museum by a generous owner. I thought it deserved to be seen by all. Please feel free to comment.

Nord

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:42:15 PM by nord »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Morrison Duplex 130106-1
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »
Just when you think you've seen it all and now THIS.
I'm assuming the tandem nipples are for superposed loads
like the Ellis sliding lock 4 shot we have in our art museum.

Bob Roller

Offline nord

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:56:21 AM »
You got it!
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
Looks like it saw some use.  Just how dangerous would that be.  I assume it was very risky or am i wrong. A great piece of experimental history.  The library is enhanced by it's addition.  Thanks to the owner for sharing
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
IF the two loads could be tightly sealed it might work and if not,
the thing would be a two shot Roman Candle.I have read about these
odd attempts at repeating muzzle loaders like the Ellis I mentioned earlier
and that was the out come,a Roman Candle with no way to shut it off or
if the shooter forgot to fire the front load first it could be interesting.
This rifle shown is a rarity among rarities and in my 62 years of black
powder interests it's a first for me.

Bob Roller

Offline nord

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
I should have said it in my first comment... This rifle is a treasure! Maybe somewhat awkward but it must have worked. And given the evident use it worked pretty well!

Offline JDK

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »
The rifle being "well used" is not alone an indication that it was used as intended.  While it is hard to tell from the photographs whether the erosion around the nipple on the left is more extensive of that on the right if he had been loaded and used as intended it would make sense that it would be as the left side lock would have to be fired first.  If only used as a single shot the right would show more erosion.

The top down photo shows more damage to the wood on the right side but then the nipple is farther back on that side.  There is almost no wood damage to the wood just forward of the nipple on the left side.

Do we have anyone who has had an opportunity to examine the barrel to compare erosion from one side to the other?  No doubt is was used with duplex loads from time to time but as to whether or not it was regularly is another matter.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline nord

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
But the fact remains that it worked. Whether loaded as designed or only with a single charge the gun has survived. Not much profit in trying to analyze much else.

Offline JDK

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 05:03:21 PM »
Without a doubt.  And it is a fine example of the Upper Susquehanna School of gunbuilding.  Thanks for posting it.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »
Thanks for showing this. It is definitely a neat piece of history. But not one I'd like to be pulling the trigger on! (not out of sequence, especially!)
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 05:47:17 PM »
Nord; Sir, Thanks for posting this unusual and very interesting muzzleloader repeating attempt. I have always had a weak spot for side slappers and I must include underhammers in the list. Thanks again, AJ.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:49:39 PM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »
WOW! Super cool. Any chance of seeing the inside of the locks? Thanks for showing this piece.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
Just noticed the missing forearm wearplate.  No evidence it was needed to cover up
a ramroad hole drilling failure.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 09:25:19 PM »
Too-shay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buck

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:47:58 AM »
Well it's a first for me also. Thanks to all the unknown souls who saved this over the years.
JIM
JIM

Offline nord

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 02:38:34 AM »
Gentlemen,

The owner will see your comments and requests. Of this I'm sure and he'll choose how to answer your questions as he sees fit. I've asked him for photos of the muzzle but I can't and won't make a request that he remove and photograph the locks. I hope you all understand.

Nord

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 05:45:30 AM »
Interesting rifle but the superimposed loads are not uncommon in the Lewisburg, Union County, PA area (which is very close to where this rifle was built).  Frederick Beerstecher of Lewisburg patented a superimposed percussion system (with a hammer extension) that shot superimposed loads in a pocket pistol and also on rifles.  This is the first two lock superimposed rifle that I saw from the area and the presence of the Morrison/Upper Susquehanna mule ear lock is just icing on the cake.  I found the signature to be interesting in that the signature does not appear to be the typical Morrison signature--looks more like a "J" than "S."  Also, as Suzkat pointed out, the wear plate did not cover a ramroad hole mishap--this is simply standard decoration on Upper Susquehanns rifles.  Thanks for sharing. 

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 05:49:44 AM »
The more I look at this one and the signature, it looks more like "JB" than "SM."  Are we sure this is not Bates?  Compare this to the sidelock Bates rifle on the first KRA CD and also the "JB" rifle sold at Morphy's in August 2009.  Even if the second letter is a "M," it is very loppy as compared to the typical Morrison signature that is tall and narrow. 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 06:00:35 AM »
The late T.K.Dawson uncovered several ramrod hole disasters that were
covered by a "wear"plate but that doesn't mean it was a widespread problem
but only a way to save a stock and get on with the job.
I had a nice fairly long conversation with TK's daughter,Diana and we had a good time
remembering the camp at Friendship and the fine steaks and brews and BSing
until 3AM. She has a son that hand makes muzzle loaders including hand forging the barrels
and casting his own lock parts and hardware. I'd say he takes after his grandfather and he
is only 33.
The superposed loads found in CW muskets were,from what I have read,a panic reaction to a misfire
the soldier wasn't ever aware of and he kept ramming paper cartridges down the barrel.I think I read
of one that had 22 loads in it.

Bob Roller

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
The late T.K.Dawson...
a panic reaction to a misfire the soldier wasn't ever aware of and he kept ramming paper cartridges down the barrel.I think I read of one that had 22 loads in it.
twenty flippin' two? now that fellow was in double-time-turbo panic-for a great long while as panics go.  the horror. 

love the extra info.
Hold to the Wind

Offline nord

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
As to the signature...

I spent some time attempting to sharpen and enhance the signature area. Even the reverse color attempt didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. In any case there are at least two details of the signature consistent with the signature area on my Morrison...

1. On neither rifle are the initials deeply imbedded. For many years I thought my rifle to be unsigned. Only when held in the proper light is it possible to see the signature. The light engraving is common on both pieces.

2. Note the location of the * (star) on this rifle. While I refuse to remove the patina from my rifle, the general spacing of the initials around it is similar to what can be seen on mine.

I agree that we can make a reasonable argument against Morrison based on what we think we see or can't see on this particular rifle. Too many other details, though, say Morrison in my opinion. Hammers, locks, patchbox, inlays, etc. all point toward Sam.

And so on this rifle I'll tend to respectfully disagree with Jeff. And while I may disagree on this one, Jeff is responsible for finally identifying what many though to be a Joe Long rifle and properly crediting it to the hand of Joe Schaefer. In other words I'd be the last to discount Jeff's opinion.

Sometimes in this game, unless the rifle carries the verified DNA of the maker, we so-called "experts" may be positive of the identification... And be dead wrong.   Obviously I exaggerate but we all need to remember that these makers didn't exist in a vacuum. Many were virtually next door neighbors.

We need to remember that a distance of ten miles was nothing in their day.  Consider the young man from the Williamsport, PA area who walked to Pittsburgh in order to purchase a gun barrel. Apparently not all that big of a deal. Time and distance weren't measured by today's standards.  At the very minimum one maker was influenced by another and in many cases they sold, traded, or borrowed from each other. 

No matter though. What we're seeing is a remarkable example of a unique survivor. Given its condition and obvious signs of a long hard life, what were the chances that gun could ever have been expected to exist in the year 2013?

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
Just noticed the missing forearm wearplate.  No evidence it was needed to cover up
a ramroad hole drilling failure.

I came back today for a second look and saw this. Was too busy looking at the lock work before.

Which shows that some really WERE wear plates and not boo-boo covers.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »
Hello Nord.

Here is more information on Morrison signatures.

The S Morrison take-down FL rifle currently up for sale at Amoskeag Auction has a very distinct script "S * M" on the barrel. My superimposed charge single barrel double lock side hammer Morrison and the single shot side hammer Morrison in the library both have a decidedly different letter in front of the distinct "M", which I interpret as a "J" or less likely an "I". Sam Sr had a son John who is said to have died young (age 23 I think) who could have been making guns. Since our guns are attributed to Samuel Morrison on the basis of style, don't you think it might be a more reasonable assumption that son John signed those two barrels?

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »
Could the first initial be an "L", for Long & Morrison?  I have seen a gun that was signd "Morrison & Long".   Strange things
happen.   When Kit Ravenshear was living and working in New Berlin, he made a gun with the superimposed loads.....didn't
work worth a d_____...........Don

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »
Good question, Don, about the possible "L" first initial, given the connection between Long and Morrison. However the top loop of the first initial on the superimposed charge rifle starts from right to left and then loops over the top clockwise before descending  down the vertical leg. That makes it a "J" or "I". An "L" in script starts on the left and loops counterclockwise over the top. Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com