Author Topic: Lancaster just coming off the bench  (Read 5280 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Lancaster just coming off the bench
« on: March 23, 2019, 10:01:59 PM »
This rifle started as a Jim Chamber's kit that was put together by one of my advanced students in one of my rifle building classes last year. The kit belongs to Micheal Melancon down Louisiana way. I did the carving, inlays, engraving and finish work. I will be delivering the rifle at the TN show next month. The inlays were made from sterling silver sheet. The stock was scraped, stained with Aqua Fortis forllowed by Birchwood Casey Walnut stain, the finish is a home made brew that I make myself. The barrel was made by Getz and is a 50 caliber.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Carl Young

Re: Lancaster just coming off the bench
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 10:43:13 PM »
Well done, a handsome piece of work going to a good home. I wondered why we hadn't heard much from you lately, but I suppose between the class and this project (and unmentioned others?) it has kept you hopping!

Give my regards to Bob when you deliver the rifle.

Hope all is well with you and the Mrs.
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »
Beautiful work there, Jim.  The carving and inlays are especially well done.

The engraving on that Hunter's Star makes it one of the best that I have seen.  Makes me wish I was 1/10 as good!

Color is great also - a fine product!

You are not around Atmore, are you?  Used to do airshows there, as well as dust soybeans.  Farmers were always telling me to fly lower, as they wanted me to pick up some leaves with the landing gear - told them to not be lazy and go pick their own leaves, 5' was a low as I was going to go!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 11:31:05 PM »
Nice!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 11:47:55 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words. Carl I sent Bob some photo's earlier and he is counting the days until the TN show. I have been pretty snowed under and my mother has been in the hospital dealing with a bad knee replacement surgery which has had me out of the shop a good bit. We have her home now so everything should be getting back on tract. I have several projects lined up and one for my brother. He wants a sure enough fancy Hawken rifle which I will be starting around June and hope to have it finished by September. This Hawken will probably send the purist into a raving fit but you know what they say, Life is to short to shot an ugly gun. ;D
Jim Parker

Offline old george

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 12:42:30 AM »
 :) very nice weapon indeed.

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »
Yeah, That star is amazing.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
Beautiful work, Jim. Thanks for posting it. 
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 06:54:38 PM »
Craig, my shop is located in the little community of Bradford Al. which is about 20 miles NE of Birmingham. I have a Warrior address but I am about 12 miles out of Warrior, back off into the country a little bit.

I used to do some work up around Decatur AL. and would watch the crop dusters working the cotton fields. I do not think you are stretching the truth to much when you say 5' was your limit. I swear I saw dust from the landing gear a couple of times when them boys sprayed a field. A job I do not think I could do. I will stick to rifle building, that is dangerous enough for me. ;D
Jim Parker

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 07:44:35 PM »
I’m gonna pile on here.  The star in particular is a fantastic inlay.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 12:46:43 AM »
  Ok Jim late to the party but I really like this gun . The finish is outstanding !
  Oldtravler

Offline pjmcdonald

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 06:00:12 AM »
Jim,
I don’t recall seeing that one at class! Beautiful work. I’m going to keep coming back and hope to be 1/100th as good!

Paul

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 08:32:22 PM »
Is the rippling on the surface desired? I've thought that changing up the direction of scraping, helped to get a flat, smooth finish.
Really nice colour.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline dave gross

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 02:11:58 AM »
Just a dandy.....my opinion is that many originals left the maker's hand with that rippled and "homespun" look....I really like what you have done there.

Dave Gross

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 04:41:01 AM »
Daryl You can scrape across the grain and get a much finer surface. Many of the originals I have handled have a surface much like this rifle has. Most of the rifles that I build are built to the customers wishes. Some want a as new rifle with a smooth finish as many want that used and lived in look. This rifle falls into the used and lived in look. My pictures are not the best and this rifle has that antique look and feel when you handle it in person. I am working on a Hawken that will have that new and fine finish, I hope to have it finished in September.
Jim Parker

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
Tks for taking the time to explain this, Jim.
I kinda thought maybe so, but wasn't sure.
Appreciated.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 01:20:41 AM »
  Jim course you realise buy now I'm a tad different. But I keep coming back to look at that finish..!! Get ready to get pestered with questions. Next time I see yeah..  My next gun is going to have that kind of finish..!  Outstanding !
  Yeah and I like it too . !!    Oldtravler

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 02:24:30 AM »
There is a lot to like as usual Jim.  In particular, I love the scraped finish that leaves the highs-and-lows in the light. I'll bet it feels super under the hand.  That engraving is beautifully sharp too.  Well done sir!  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 03:15:35 AM »
Jim, I hope you get to display that rifle for a little while at Knoxville...I sure want to see it in person! 

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 03:22:26 PM »
Greg, it will be there. I am delivering it at the show.
Jim Parker

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 06:12:01 PM »
Daryl You can scrape across the grain and get a much finer surface. Many of the originals I have handled have a surface much like this rifle has. Most of the rifles that I build are built to the customers wishes. Some want a as new rifle with a smooth finish as many want that used and lived in look. This rifle falls into the used and lived in look. My pictures are not the best and this rifle has that antique look and feel when you handle it in person. I am working on a Hawken that will have that new and fine finish, I hope to have it finished in September.

There are several things people need to consider.
First. Anyone in America could hack out a gun and be a "gunsmith" and this shows in some guns.  Do you REALLY think that Andreas  Albrecht could not run a scraper any better than this? OR would accept this from his apprentice? Here is a question. Page 77 of Moravian Gunmaking II. Why is the forestock apparently smooth and the buttstock so rippled? Could it be the buttstock was subject to water? In a flood perhaps?
Then the owner modifications....
Poorly finished guns, do we REALLY think it was made this way? Or did someone of limited skill in the past do this because they were bored or did not like the finish? Was it damaged in some way and the owner "fixed it" with a dull knife?
Next and this is critical. There were slop artists then as now. I can't do work of this "quality". JP Beck did a better job of finishing patchbox cavities than this.
IMO you have to INTENTIONALLY misuse a scraper to make it look this way.
BTW "used' does not have to look like this either. But then many reenactor types see a gun as a prop and they have a faulty knowledge of what the guns actually looked like at the time and what actual "wear" actually looks like. This is seen in almost everything they use at their reenactments. And they often forget that some of these rifles were in use for decades, then converted to percussion used for decades again and at the end were given to kids to hunt with or even play with. So some of the "work" people cite might have been a 10 year old with a pocket knife.  I knew a man in my youth who was given a shotgun to heavy too carry when he was a child and he wore down the buttstock by letting it drag on the ground.
People need to remember that these guns were essentially valueless by 1890-1900 and many went to the scrap drives of WW-I and probably even WW-II. The same man that dragged the shotgun told me that when he returned from WW-I he only had the stock of one of his "good guns" left. These were Kentuckies.
In the 1950s in the west pawn shops had old Winchesters were "displayed" jammed in barrels or trash cans. Garbage men would find them in trash cans when picking up garbage. SA Colts were dirt cheap as well. Nobody cared if the kid attacks the stock with a knife or dragged a flat on the buttstock.
The ML world is a world mostly of fantasy it seems. So people will accept almost anything if they think it looks cool. Appartently they think our forefathers were to crude and stupid to do quality work. This includes sloppily made barrels and other hardware. For a couple of reason. First most ML "shooters" won't PAY WHAT IT'S WORTH do do it right. So they get barrels that are tapped 11/16 to 3/4" for a 5/8" breech..... Locks with tumbler holes bored at an angle to the plate rather than 90 degrees and other things.....
Dan 
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 05:10:07 AM »
  Kinda interesting comment Dan. Reminds me of a guy at the shooting range. He has his super fact Wertherbuy I had my mister ugly rifle savitdy. He was all over me about his super custom. But at the end of the day old ugly (the gun) out did the other.
  What I'm getting at is some people put more into reliable function than beauty and some of us like character in there guns.  Oldtravler

Offline t.caster

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »
I don't like it. I love it! Has that Christians Spring influence that is seen on a number of early Lancasters.
Tom C.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 11:14:02 PM »
I think your work is remarkable.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.