Author Topic: Who do the Modern Makers and general members on this Site Admire  (Read 85542 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: Who do the Modern Makers and general members on this Site Admire
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 11:39:24 PM »
There are so many I like. David Price, Silver, Chambers, Kibler, Shipman, Martin, Brumfield, Castile, Sapergia, Huddleston, and many others.  I think the idea is to pick a maker and get out of his way.  It would be a shame to get in the way of what they can do.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Online Joey R

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »
I'm with Pletch. For example,I commisioned 9 flintlocks.2 by Ron Scott,2 by Mike Miller,2 by Marvin Kemper,2 by Jim Turpin, and 1 by Mike Coggeshall. I told them what style I was looking for and measurements and when they asked me if I had any ideas I would tell them that they were building the gun and they all smiled and kept in contact about progress. As Pletch said "I got out of their way",I always got way more of a firearm by letting them have free reign with their artistic craftsmanship. Just my 7 cents worth.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 12:14:17 AM »
And ya can't even shoot fresh venison with any of those "toys"!  ;D

No,but ya can out run 'em! Or over 'em!

If given the chance,how WOULD ya pick? Jim Kibler's work is incredable,Jud Brennan,HOLY COW!,Brent Gurtek,YIKE'S! And the list of the makers named here are phenomenal!

I guess for me,and only because he was the first "Famous" maker I met and who took the time to go over my first build (@1988,gun was built @'82)and give an honest and very "kind" critique of my work and gave some awsome advise and encouragment would be Hershal House. But I really need to get out more and rub elbow's with our current modern "Master's"! Meeting and laughing with John Schippers was another highlight fromlast year also. But 10K wouldnt even be a down payment i would imagine. And I'm hoping Hershal would give a "family"discount!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Habu

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »
If given the chance,how WOULD ya pick?

I can't speak for anyone else, but as for me: I cheated!  I picked a particular rifle I like, and selected makers I knew could do a wonderful job of building what I wanted.  If it somehow actually came about that I had the funds to do this, I'd only hope I could interest one of them in the project. 

Without that as a guideline, I'd be as lost as anyone . . . .

Big Fish

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 08:17:10 AM »
I think Taylor Sapergia here In Prince george British Columbia's worth a look :)

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »
Taylor HAS to be one of the top makers on the North American scene.
I recommended him to a father and son who both want rifles made.

Bob Roller

Offline johnny

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:38 PM »
Yikes...... How about some of the Masters from Williamsburg. Gusler, Frazer & Suitor. 
So many masters today with a style all their own!  Additionally when I receive a great firelock from a modern day master I feel guilty almost immediately not because I did not get it from another builder but because a I did not let another builder to exercise their creativity.  Oh, I do not think anybody mention Mark Thomas, what a fine fellow.   

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »
Royland Southgate,  Clay Smith

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 04:25:50 AM »
 I can think of three michigan masters that haven't been mentioned Tom Caster,Homer dangler,and Dennis Priddy I would be proud to have one of their rifles. I had a very early Judd Brenn rifle that he made when he was just starting out sad to say I sold it .

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 11:28:51 PM »
Thankfully, (;) ...somethin bout that ain't right!) I doubt I'll ever have to make that decision, because I'd have a mighty hard time deciding.  There are certain features and styles that draw me to quite a number of today's masters, and in addition there are a number of already completed guns that I'd be more than tickled to have.
The list of makers includes, but is not limited to: Chambers, Silver, Gusler, Brumfield, Harn, Bivins, Shipman, Kibler, Martin, Wheland, Sapergia, Pratt... just to name a few.
I am especially partial to first handful on the list because of their more than generous sharing of knowledge back when I was just getting started in this, and they didn't know me from Adam.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Hall rifle

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 12:42:19 AM »
I am familiar with Marvin Kemper.   I was wondering if any of the others mentioned are from Indiana?
Hall Rifle

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »
I want to add Jackie Brown to my list. True,he isnt a $2500.00 gunbuilder,but there is something about his guns that seem's kinda,honest. I have a couple of them and enjoy hunting with each and every one of them.

And I like the way Mike Brook's answered,letting the maker "Do his thing!" If given the oppertunity to hire H.House,that's exactlly how I would say it.Only problem would be what caliber? Squirrel?,Deer? Other than that,build me a GREAT gun!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »
I also like the looks of Jackie Brown's rifles.Plain as a fence post
but very useful,especially in a large caliber.I just bought a fine Ford F150
truck from our youngest son and that took my gun money for a while.
A new S&W 44 Special will have to wait along with the muzzleloader.

Bob Roller

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
That is a difficult decision to make, so many good builders.  Since I didn't make the list, I was thinking of makeing a
Special "Christian's Spring" barn gun,  with either copper, steel, brass, or silver staples.   You can tell it has been a long
winter, one gets to think too much, ha..........Don

Offline jrb

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 01:17:48 AM »
About anything shown on the makers blog Ken Gahagan makes, especially his "composite" fowlers are my favorite.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:17 PM »
All the builders that have been mentioned along with Ken Guy for a Tennessee Mountain rifle and Nate Mckenzie.

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 09:37:59 PM »
I'd have Hersel House make me a iron mounted squirrel rifle. Properly .36 caliber, then I'd let him figure out the rest.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2013, 02:53:47 AM »
I can talk with Bob Elka, Willis, Michigan, and see his work yearly at the Lapeer show. One of his more elaborate works was featured in Muzzle Blasts some time earlier this year. Right now he has my swamped Green Mountain barrel & brass Chambers Siler lock which is intended for (probably) a Frederick Sell.
I made such a rifle some years ago, but it is just a tad too small for me.

Put this on P-bucket before they made those unspeakably miserable changes, don't believe I will ever again be able to use it for anything new. If someone knows of another site, kinda like photobucket used to be, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2013, 04:43:39 AM »
My favorite gunmaker has been, and remains, Brad Emig. 

Having said that, I would love to have a rifle, fowler or pistol from Taylor Sapergia, Tom Curran or Mike Miller.  Brad's son Shane is a darned good gunsmith too.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Dean2

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 07:43:14 AM »
I can talk with Bob Elka, Willis, Michigan, and see his work yearly at the Lapeer show. One of his more elaborate works was featured in Muzzle Blasts some time earlier this year. Right now he has my swamped Green Mountain barrel & brass Chambers Siler lock which is intended for (probably) a Frederick Sell.
I made such a rifle some years ago, but it is just a tad too small for me.

Put this on P-bucket before they made those unspeakably miserable changes, don't believe I will ever again be able to use it for anything new. If someone knows of another site, kinda like photobucket used to be, I'd sure like to hear about it.

I use Image Shack. Much easier to use than even the old Photobucket and they don't collect all the personal info PB does.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »
If I had an extra $10,000 to spend on a gun I'd get the brakes fixed on my rusty old pickup truck. I couldn't spend that much on a gun. It goes against my raising. I do have likes & dislikes in guns though.  I don't care for those guns that have all the wire and sheet inlays. It is gaudy IMHO. Simple and functional is what I like. I admire Mike Brooks and his fowlers & trade guns & Ken Gahagan fowling guns just plain knock me out. I have an early (1969) gun built by JR Salvo that has meaning to me too but it ain't no $10,000 gun. :/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:02:26 PM by Keb »

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
I feel the same way about these over done and gaudy guns either.
Plain as a post with good profile (eye appeal)and tight inletting get
my attention at any show including the CLR show in Lexington.
 Bob Roller

nosrettap1958

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 08:06:07 PM »
Regardless of the inlays building a rifle takes time and effort and if its costs $10,000.00 well then its costs $10,000.00. I don't and won't work for minimum wage and I don't expect the guy who is building my rifle to work for minimum wage either. He has to eat too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:06:45 PM by crawdad »

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »
This is a first. I have had others ask me about the price of a bench crafted lock
when I tell them I get $150 for a Hawken lock,thet will reply "$150 for a LOCK'?
My reply is always blunt,"No,the lock is free but the labor/time it takes to make it isn't.
I have no time for such people.

Bob Roller

Bill

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
Bob, your work is worth every dime you charge for it! if I had the $10,000 and could actually spend it :) I would ask jack haugh to build something for me or get a dennis priddy air rifle! sorry!