Author Topic: "D.S." marked Longrifle  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
"D.S." marked Longrifle
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
Anyone want to speculate on who "D.S." was and where he hailed from.  I bought this rifle a few years ago and was told at that time that it was made by David Smith of Warrior Mountain, Alabama.  The notes associated with this rifle came from a very knowledgeable southern rifle collector. Nothing I see in this rifle indicates it has links to the Bulls.  I don’t think this is an Alabama rifle, probably from VA or NC. Is this “D.S.” David Smith? Was he really a student of John Bull? Was David Smith in NC or East TN before AL?
Notes:
- Signed Brass Mounted Alabama Rifle by "David Smith".  The rifle is stamped “D.S.” on the left flat (ten o’clock position) at rear of barrel. This 36 cal. May have Alabama origins if it was made by the David Smith of Warrior Mountain, Alabama. It is a full stocked brass mounted percussion lock rifle.

Overall Length 59 ½ inches
Barrel Length 43 ½ inches
LOP 13 ¾ inches
Caliber .36

http://s678.beta.photobucket.com/user/sequatchie/library/DS%20Longrifle

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:53:10 PM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: "D.S." marked Longrifle
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:59:04 PM »
I wonder if "DS(?)" is the barrel maker rather than the "stocker,"  given the position of the "mark" on the barrel?

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:38:55 PM »
Think there was a David & Daniel Sheets in Ohio. But that don't mean to much. ;D

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
Interesting.
I can't help you with a maker, but I have a maple stocked brass mounted rifle with what looks like almost the exact same cheekpiece.

John
John Robbins

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:42:32 PM »
Noble vol. 1 (p. 105) has him from Kentucky originally (I'd take that with a grain of salt), along with some few other details, most of which you have.  At first glance, I don't think it looks very Bull-ish, either, but I wouldn't rule out N. Alabama/Middle TN. -- traits from Va. and NC, etc., are often mixed and matched, it seems to me.  One thing that may confuse the issue is if the maker is known for iron mounts and builds something with brass mounts (maybe even bought from elsewhere), it may look quite different?

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:10 PM »
Think there was a David & Daniel Sheets in Ohio. But that don't mean to much.
Also a David Sheets 1788-1837 in NC. I once owned a rifle that i believe may have been by him but the barrel was signed D. Sheets not D. S.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson