Author Topic: Flintlock regulations for hunting deer  (Read 18748 times)

Offline acorn20

Re: Flintlock regulations for hunting deer
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 08:11:10 PM »
DP,

When other states have their muzzleloading season was one of the questions I was hoping to have answered when I started this thread.  Pennsylvania's primitive season has always been flintlock only and held after Christmas since its inception.  I didn't know if too many other states had a "primitive" season for flintlocks and bows jointly or when they were held. 

Most of the deer we see during our primitive season are running full tilt, about a foot off the ground with the after-burners on after being pushed for the two weeks of regular deer season.  I absolutely love it though and live for this season.  As I've noted, it's tough to still hunt unless there's snow on the ground and then the fun begins.  Their calling for snow tomorrow and I can't wait.   I just wish they'd clarify the regulations to make swivel breeches legal.  I still intend to hunt with mine; you see...Pennsylvania's a pretty big state!

Dan
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 08:13:23 PM by acorn20 »
Dan Akers

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 10:39:15 PM »
Dan - when we have our 'primitive's season, there is always snow on the ground, but it might be -35 or 40, you just never know.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 12:20:11 AM »
Got about 14" of new snow yesterday, don't know if it extended far enough south into Pa.. Good luck hunting, with either barrel. Went out into the woods today, looks like the deer were good at ducking this year, fresh tracks all over. Oh Lordy, to have a late primitive (flint & perc. only), what a day!!
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline acorn20

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 07:18:50 AM »
Daryl,

I'd love to have your snow but that -35 or -40 is just too wicked on the fingers!  I hunt with fingerless gloves ever since the first year I started hunting with muzzleloaders.  My gun went off accidently on the first day of regular deer season way back in 1973!  That piece of of glove that you can never seem to get your finger in cost me a 6-point.  Perhaps I had the set trigger a bit too touchy.  I'll bet I'm not the only one to do that.

Dan
Dan Akers

Daryl

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 05:20:16 PM »
Dan - I know your 'gloved trigger' pain - but to a lesser extent. 'Premature' discharge :o only cost me a 'miss' on a steel target.  We have a 'weak' arm target on the trail and I've found that not setting the trigger when shooting left handed, or with gloves & right handed and not setting the trigger allows me to hit every time.

Once winter sets in and we become accustomed to the cooler weather, wearing a thin cotton 'liner' glove on the 'rifle' hand is usually sufficient as our pictures usually show. We'll sometimes put a pocket warmer in a pocket for when either hand becomes 'chilled'.  Being comfortable makes for a great 'trail' or hunt, that's for sure.

Dave Marsh

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 09:02:42 PM »
New York's muzzleloader / 2nd bow season is after the regular gun season.  Unfortunately inline's are legal.  So after 4 to 5 weeks of being pushed by the rifle / shotgun crowd starting with opening day the deer you see are going mach 2.  The  1st NY bow season is the month before gun season and works great as there is not much hunting pressure.   Now there is a proposal for a muzzleloader season before bow season but again inlines would be legal which means that the inline crowd will start driving the deer opening day.  This of course will alter bow season dramatically after they drive them for 2 weeks.  In our area everybody drives deer from opening day on.  Our best hope is we do not drive our property so we have deer that are not as spooked.  I would love early muzzleloader if inlines were not allowed but that is not going to happen.     

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 09:00:25 PM »
Michigan : Muzzleloader ( "primitive" and inlines ) season averages 2 weeks ( depending on the area ) in December after the regular gun season and the deer have had $#@* scared out of them. .40 caliber and larger I believe. Deer Hunting laws in Michigan are very liberal IMHO as the state will do almost anything to get deer numbers down in the agricultural areas of our state., as bovine tuberculosis has been identified and the constant fear of chronic wasting hangs over whats left of the farming economy in our state.

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 11:09:07 PM »
Tom - currious you should mention the TB - A friend shot a moose in the Stewart Lake (Special Weapons) area, Northern BC, which was diagnosed with TB. I haven't heard of any deer or moose identified with  BTB since.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 01:20:58 AM »
acorn,
Here in N.H. we have an early season before the regular rifle  season.  Inlines are allowed , flintlock or caplock, 40 cal. or larger.  Swivel breech  rifles are not allowed during the muzzle loading season.

A couple of years ago I put on a display for the N.H. fish and game, and had several wardens at my table looking at my rifles, including my swivel breech flintlock.  I mentioned to them that the way the law was written ( single barrel only )  the swivel breech rifle as not legal.  All but one agreed that they would not  arrest any one hunting with one.  But the bottom line is it is illegal.

omark

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 02:29:12 AM »
in colo its cap or flint, single barrel, projectile and, unfortunately, inlines are acceptable. though sabots are not legal, i see many (all) stores selling sabots and feel DOW does not really check that part. as far as swivel breech or doubles, they are illegal but think they would have a tough time selling that to a judge if the hammer, flint was removed from one barrel. although that removes the advantage of two barrels. i also feel it should be legal to have one barrel loaded with shot or be a small caliber for small game, birds. but they never asked my opinion, anyway. guess they know better because i do have an opinion. ;D

billd

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 02:31:20 AM »
A strange PA law......PA has a two week flintlock season after Christmas. It is .44 cal. minimum or .50 minimum if a pistol.  Squirrels, grouse and rabbits are also in the same time. I cannot use my .32 flintlock for squirrels during this period, yet I can take my .22 or .17.  If I want to poach a deer, it's going to be with a scoped .22 in the ear, not a .32 flintlock.  You can't find any deer anyway, but we do have lots of squirrels.

Jim Thomas

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 02:21:42 PM »
A strange PA law......PA has a two week flintlock season after Christmas. It is .44 cal. minimum or .50 minimum if a pistol.  Squirrels, grouse and rabbits are also in the same time. I cannot use my .32 flintlock for squirrels during this period, yet I can take my .22 or .17.  If I want to poach a deer, it's going to be with a scoped .22 in the ear, not a .32 flintlock.  You can't find any deer anyway, but we do have lots of squirrels.

There was a petition earlier this year.   If I recall,  Wayne Flora ( Pa BP Federation) said back in October, it contained 278 pages of signatures.     The  game commmision meeting is set for January 25th ...27th.      Hopefully we can get that law changed. 

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »
Mississippi is pretty much wide open. Any single shot invented before 1898 with an outside hammer and minimum 38 cal; no restriction on sights. There is a two week season the second week of December, then after gun season ends about the middle of January, primitive comes in again until end of February. One deer a day, five maximum per year. A few years ago when scopes were made legal all the good ol' boys had scoped inlines. Most would use Pyrodex pellets and conicals and load them up until they got the living snot kicked out of them ;D ;D. Now the hot setup seems to be the H&R Handi rifle in 45-70 or 444 Marlin with a 3x9 moonscope of some sort.
I carried my Winchester High Wall one year but have since gone back to my firelocks. I may not haul as many deer home as the other guys, but I can guarantee that I enjoy my guns much more, and while they are still cleaning the critter I am sitting by the fire with a good tall Bourbon and Branch.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2009, 12:54:32 AM »
Pete,

I was just reading the Mississippi primitive weapons law the other day and gleaned pretty much the same info.

Any single or double bbl muzzle loader firing a single projectile.  38 cal min.  Flint or Percussion.  BP or BP substite powder.

OR

Any outside hammer single shot BREECH LOADER, 35 cal min., BP or smokeless.

Not only are inlines (YUK) permitted but can you believe a smokeless BL is a primitive weapon?!?!?................................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......