American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 01, 2015, 01:07:59 PM
Home Help Login Register
News: *Attention pending new members* If you have not received a link to activate your new ALR membership please email us at: alrsignup@gmail.com .  It appears that several email companies are NOT delivering all of the ALR email even though our server says it was accepted by the email company. If you HAVE NOT received an email with an activation link (and are not spammer) please email us a alrsignup@gmail.com . We don't like dropping pending accounts but we can't keep them forever.

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Gun Building
| | |-+  ssf-6 silver solder
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ssf-6 silver solder  (Read 1439 times)
cmac

« on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »

I just saw this at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2wYgQtPg4g. It looks like great stuff. I doubt it is as strong as a wig or tig weld as this guy says in the video. It is expensive. Has anyone tied it and is it worth the cost?
WadePatton

Tennessee

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:10:02 PM »

Small technical note-that's where it becomes brazing as opposed to soldering.  840f, I heard him say 8-something,  close enough.

Top-end custom steel bicycle frames are made with brazed silver socket-type joints every day (most commonly 56%).  Butted bronze joints bike, are fillet brazed as well.  Brazing is serious metal joinery.  Arc welding is a 19th-century joinery contraption.  

Will work nearly anywhere in place of a weld.  

I'd check on the solubility of that particular flux on the stuff in the video.  All the coated rods i've used had non-soluble flux and you have to grind that away for cleanup.  Nearly all the paste and powder fluxes will dissolve/soften in a water soak-the best joinery needs no shaping after that.

56% and Harris white flux is all you need to hang parts, besides clean metal and a small gap.

Hold to the Wind
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length