Author Topic: Paradox weapons....were they used here?  (Read 3536 times)

vtnunter52

Paradox weapons....were they used here?
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
Been re-reading the back posts to gain some much needed knowledge.  There seems to be an ongoing discussion on the use and virtues of the rifle vs  smoothbore.
     The British in all of their colonization of the world, also lead the world for a time in the invention and production of firearms.  One of the developments was the paradox. gun. This was a smoothbore shotgun that was straight rifled in the last 2-3 inches of its bll.  The design was for use on large game in thick underbrush, and also as a shotgun for game birds.  Shooting heavy charges of bp, and a heavy rb, cast hard, it was the choice for following up dangerous game.
     My question is that, did these firearms ever see any use in this country?  In the early 18th century, our gamefields were destination spots for the royal, and the rich, and I can't believe that they would not have poccessed one of these.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Paradox weapons....were they used here?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 07:33:46 AM »
A Paradox is a breechloader shotgun with some rifling near the end of the barrel. It was not straight cut.
Its a subject for some place like the nitro-express forums.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:34:39 AM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
Thanks Dan,thought I was going to have to break out my colledge books and manuscripts from my Physic's day's! From what I recall,the present state of the antimatter paradox has yet to be reconciled.

Glad we still can rely on our trusty flinters!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

vtnunter52

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 04:36:20 AM »
Dan P,   
        Sorry, I  did know that the paradox was a breechloader, and didn't belong here.
        To rephrase my question.  Did that configuration of bll. ever exist in early smoothbores?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »
Dan P,   
        Sorry, I  did know that the paradox was a breechloader, and didn't belong here.
        To rephrase my question.  Did that configuration of bll. ever exist in early smoothbores?

Conversing about the American Longrifle and its related arms is not about trying to convert later technology to MLing.  George Fosbery patented the rifled shotgun about 1885.
I say again.
I would go to NitroExpress.com  forums with this question, they have a forum for "paradox and  bore guns". But given the patent date you are beating a dead horse trying to stretch the idea back before 1870.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:48:29 PM »
We had "gamefeild's" as a destiation for the rich in the early 1700's?
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!