Author Topic: Stock blank length question  (Read 4207 times)

Bioprof

Stock blank length question
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:55:04 PM »
To build a longrifle with a 42" swamped barrel, what is the minimum length stock blank that you need, let's say for a Reading longrifle with a 13 1/2" pull length?

Offline t.caster

Re: Stock blank length question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:01:46 PM »
Start with something 58" more or less. More is better.
Tom C.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:29:21 PM »
I agree with Tom,  58" is a good minimum.  My rule of thumb is length of barrel plus length of pull plus 2".  The 2" is the approximate distance from the breech to the trigger.  If you are building a late style gun with a more pronounced crescent buttplate then you need to compensate for that.  Ask me how I know?
DMR

Bioprof

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:19:28 AM »
David,

Your information is very helpful.   The reason that I was asking is that I picked up a 64" black walnut blank from Goby Walnut while I was visiting my parents.   I am heading back home on a plane and they have a maximum length for checked baggage of 62".    I think I can cut off the last two inches of the stock and get it under the length limit.   There is a big knot right on the end of the stock anyway, so I don't think I'll be missing much. 

I'm not sure what I'm going to use it for yet, but want to keep my options open. 

Anybody ever try to check in stock blanks as luggage on an airline?    Anything I should watch out for?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »
I flew back for the KRA show and used my 70" gun case. They didnt charge extra this time. I didnt complain. You can wrap it in card board or just put some clear packing tape over your personal info so it will tell whos stock it is and send it down the baggage ramp. Freddy Harrison just puts the postage on the wood and sends it as it sits with my address taped in place on the middle of it. No box no packing a tal.
Dave Blaisdell

don getz

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:14:38 PM »
As a rule of thumb, if you add about 16" to the length of the barrel should give you enough for a 14" pull, no problem.
Don