Author Topic: I found a .40 cal.  (Read 9791 times)

2lookindown

I found a .40 cal.
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »
Guys, I appreciate all the help and pm's and e-mails on the posts... I found a full stock made by Virgil Longacre from Southern Ohio.... He used a Douglas barrel and L&R lock and trigger.... It is a shooter....

Offline trentOH

Re: I found a .40 cal.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »
The bison is an interesting touch. Be careful if you set that rifle on the forest floor. The woodgrain is a good camouflage!

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:43:38 AM »
Great looking rifle!!  I well KNOW that Douglas barrels shoot great. Wish they still made em.

Now where does the rock to???? ???
 ;D
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

2lookindown

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:21:05 AM »
TCompton, Now where does the rock ?    I'm usually pretty good at the mind games but ???

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 04:29:11 AM »
Nice wood on that rifle!  I think his reference to rock is that it is a percussion instead of a flintlock?

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 05:35:10 AM »
2lookindown,the "Rock" comment is kind of a "joke" with us flintlock shooters when we see a percussion gun. We need a "rock"(flint) to make our beloved guns go off.

Nothing wrong with that gun at all! Interesting seeing a Lancaster patchbox on a late Percussion,middle Pennsylvania gun. nice balance to the look of it! Good job!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

2lookindown

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 05:37:08 AM »
Oh, The flinter piece of a thing a ma bob...  I lost my left eye in 84 and I aint to cool about a flame flaring up on my good eye side even though I where glasses to shoot with.... So I will let youins shoot with "ROCKS"  ;D ;D ;D

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:39:36 AM »
I don't know for sure that a caplock is less an eye hazard than a flinter.  A flinter produces small but very sharp pieces of flint, but the gas jet from the touchhole might tend to vent it outboard.   A caplock can produce larger pieces of copper cap fragments, but the nipple angles back toward your eye.   Here's a picture of a caplock going off that I caught at just the right millisecond:

And here's another taken a couple of years later, also percussion, but a different gun:

The moral to the story, I guess, is not that one ignition system is riskier than the other, but that you should always wear dependable eye protection.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:40:33 AM by SCLoyalist »

2lookindown

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 05:05:58 PM »
SCLoyalist, Yes the eye protection is a must... I may get around to the rock -n- hammer someday... But I'm just starting and I think that with the L&R lock I may be able to change it over....

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 06:27:09 PM »
BTW, 2Look,  what's happening with the .32/.29 gun you were working on a couple of weeks ago?  SCL

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 06:28:49 PM »
SCLoyalist, Yes the eye protection is a must... I may get around to the rock -n- hammer someday... But I'm just starting and I think that with the L&R lock I may be able to change it over....

If you are like me once you use a well tuned flintlock you will NEVER want to go back to a percussion.

I have a friend that hunts/shoots with me. He owns one of those fancy/dancy Remington 700 percussion rifles. It burns him up whenever he has a miss-fire (and he has plenty) and my old 54 with Chambers Siler just keeps right on firing! One rainy day when both of our rifles had been loaded for a couple of weeks, we decided to shoot them to clean them. He tried to fire 3 times at a 25 yd target. The third time it fired but he missed the target. I told him he needed to get a reliable flint rifle and threw the rifle up, fired and put the ball in the 10 ring. He hardly spoke on the way home ;D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
That is a handsome rifle even though it's percussion. ;D  Seriously it's a nice rifle, IMO.  I'm a flinter though I do own three percussions.  I can say that I've been sprayed/bit by percussion rifles much, much more often than by flintlocks.  Both require glasses for safety and that's a fact.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 04:02:37 AM »
TCompton, Now where does the rock ?    I'm usually pretty good at the mind games but ???

Fat fingered again. Where does the rock go?

I've had lense on shooting glasses damaged by shrapnel from a cap. Always wear protection - ET when shooting MLs

TC
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:07:32 AM by TCompton »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

2lookindown

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 06:01:10 AM »
Guys, I may have done the wrong thing but I shined her up a bit...I found some inlay I didn't see... I think I'm in love.... She shoots good too...That is a four shot group !!! I was afraid to shoot the 5th  ;D ;D ;D

2lookindown

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 06:07:10 AM »
BTW, 2Look,  what's happening with the .32/.29 gun you were working on a couple of weeks ago?  SCL

SCLoyalist, I have the barrel getting worked on.... I came out as a .29 cal.  Someone mistreated it and left is sit uncleaned.... It ruined the barrel so I had it took out to a .32 cal and it aint back yet... I look for it in a week or 2.... I have the apple half stock just about ready for the barrel... I put some inlay in it and put a but plate on it and cut in a small cheek plate I will post some pics of it soon....

Shootrj2003

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »
That is a beautiful rifle

2lookindown

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 04:31:02 AM »
shooter, thanks...I like it I guess thats all that matters....

nosrettap1958

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 09:44:07 PM »
That is a good lookin rifle.  They're all the same to a lot of people whether it is a percussion or flinter it really doesn't matter. Because I've noticed one thing and that is, to the untrained eye, a vast majority of people really don't know the difference between two.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:46:18 PM by crawdad »

ROSIE

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 09:57:13 PM »
Were is the rear sight?It looks like it's missing in the last set of pictures.

2lookindown

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 12:31:01 AM »
David, It had a wide real wide gap in the back sight and a narrow front blade... I took the back sight out and hadn't got the new one rusted and put back in....  It is in there now and back in action....

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 01:32:50 AM »
And you liking it is all that matters! I too bought a rifle as part of an estate,Bedford"ish",and when I cleaned her up,really nice sterling wire inlay's,everywhere! tastefully done and very artistic!.

Good job on the rifle gun!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

2lookindown

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 02:21:18 AM »
I guess I will tie a rock on it just to please everyone....

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
That's a nice looking rifle. You need to get that beauty out in the squirrel woods.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

2lookindown

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 04:18:13 AM »
Kopfjaeger,Thanks... I better wait till season comes in But it shoots pretty good....