Author Topic: drill bit for ram rod  (Read 27292 times)

Luke

drill bit for ram rod
« on: March 13, 2013, 04:35:08 AM »
good day to all ,anyone make the ram rod drill bit to sell,thanks for the help. luke

Offline Long Ears

Re: drill bit for ram rod
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:15:54 AM »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:43:10 AM »
Track of the Wolf has them from 1/4 to 7/16th". $34.99 up to $42.99. They are made slightly oversize so a 3/8ths bit would be 13/32".

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 06:31:08 AM »
Track of the Wolf has them from 1/4 to 7/16th". $34.99 up to $42.99. They are made slightly oversize so a 3/8ths bit would be 13/32".

dave

And they will drill straight holes.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
WOW, I never knew you could buy one, I just used one I got at Horror Freight,,It was a night mare getting the hole straight.

kaintuck

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 02:42:36 PM »

dave

Buy one.....then get blank metal rods, and with a dremel....copy the exactly the end.....they work great!
Marc

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »
good day to all ,anyone make the ram rod drill bit to sell,thanks for the help. luke

I don't sell them but you can make one or have one made for you. I like this type because I can use different types of ends. Here is a sample to get you started --- the last picture shows a sanding mandrel which has a piece of emery cloth attached to enlarge the ramrod hole slightly if needed. The drill rod can be extended by screwing on an extension - everything is "modular".

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:51:05 AM by rich pierce »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 02:34:57 PM »
I had a machine shop center up and weld a normal bit onto a piece of straight 48" drill rod.  I have them in 5/16, 3/8, and 7/16.  They were dirt cheap and work perfectly.  Any straight bit will put a 9" deep hole right where you want it so long as it is aimed correctly...if your ramrod groove is pointing the bit up into the barrel or out the lock mortise, don't be surprised when that's where you wind up. 

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »
Drilling a straight hole is all in the drill sharpening. Self sharpening and getting the point off center will cause the drill to wander.

Micah2

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 12:38:58 AM »
I made my drills with Roland stock as mentioned above, I cut off a brand new spade bit head and notched the rod, like a stone point in an arrow shaft.  Worked great for ten dollars.

doug

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »
    I have made my own as well.  I center drill the shank of the twist bit and turn the end of the piece to be added to match the hole.  I also make a pair of bushings that slide of the long rod to be added, which increases its diameter to the same as the drill being extended.  Final step is to support the work in a piece of angle bar and silver solder the two parts together.
     I cut a slot in the bottom of the angle bar where I intend to silver solder, so that I don't solder the drill to the angle bar.  I also made a couple of feert or supports for the angle bar from short pieces of the same with the point of the V up and a notch cut or filed into the upper part of the "foot"

cheers Doug