Author Topic: Andrew Verner build  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
Andrew Verner build
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:42:22 AM »
Got the parts from Pecatonica a couple of weeks ago, nice curly maple stock inletted for the barrel and ramrod, .45 cal octagon Colerain barrel, Siler lock, sandcast trigger guard and buttplate.

Prior to getting the parts I bought "Recreating the American Longrifle" by Buchele, Shumway and Alexander and "The Gunsmith of Grenville County"by Peter Alexander. I am impressed with how thorough the information is they both contain. So far both books have been a great help to me on this first build.
After starting  and seeing how involved it is my hat goes off to you master builders who have the skills and artistic eye to recreate these beauties.

Anyways I will update as I move along. I figure I might finish around Christmas time. I am taking this pretty slow as to avoid as many mistakes as I can.

Lesson #1 I learned was have SHARP chisels ! There was a difference to what I had thought was sharp and what it really is. ;D

Needless to say I'm lovin every minute of it.

Scout
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline KLMoors

Re: Andrew Verner build
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
Sounds like you have the right attitude.

Go slow.

Ask questions.

Have fun.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »
Scout, One thing I have learned is that Bucks County researchers and builders are as passionate about these rifles as any other school of building out there. Bucks rifles have a unique set of chacteristics that set that school apart from others.

You would do well to search for posts from Ron Luckenbill ( Lucky RA ) as he has posted on ALR many fine Bucks rifles he has made in the past. Reading his posts would also be beneficial.

What resources ( books ) are you using for reference ?

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »
Pay attention to posts by Eric Armstrong too. He has done a good bit of research, and has been kind enough to share it!
I'm looking forward to your build.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:36:46 AM »
Scout, As Bruce stated my friend Eric Armstrong is indeed a wealth of information on Bucks County longrifles. Searching for his posts maybe a bit difficult however as he has changed his screen name several times. I belive he is currently Eric A.