Author Topic: As a neophyte to the world of contemporary long rifles...  (Read 22645 times)

Buckingham

As a neophyte to the world of contemporary long rifles...
« on: March 26, 2013, 03:54:26 AM »
... I just wanted to thank all of you who build these magnificent instruments.

I recently purchased my first flintlock rifle (a custom rifle built in the 1970s based on a Hawken design) and I am now studying to purchase my first Long Rifle.  This is the culmination of years of wanting this type of rifle, so my intention is to read and learn what I can at this fantastic forum, and grow my knowledge and appreciation of the art and science which so many of you promulgate.

Thank you who build these for doing what you do.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: As a neophyte to the world of contemporary long rifles...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 04:41:00 AM »
Welcome to the fold Buckingham. Enjoy the ride.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:36:13 AM »
... I just wanted to thank all of you who build these magnificent instruments.

I recently purchased my first flintlock rifle (a custom rifle built in the 1970s based on a Hawken design) and I am now studying to purchase my first Long Rifle.  This is the culmination of years of wanting this type of rifle, so my intention is to read and learn what I can at this fantastic forum, and grow my knowledge and appreciation of the art and science which so many of you promulgate.

Thank you who build these for doing what you do.

Have any pictures of the Hawken style???

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:59:40 PM »
Welcome Buckingham;

What period and style of long rifle are you looking to purchase?

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Buckingham

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:13:47 AM »
Here is a full length picture of the Hawken-style rifle that I recently purchased:

Additionally I am including a close-up of the actual lock (which I was told was made by Bob Roller back in the 1970s):

I am very much interested in a Pennsylvania Rifle as the next acquisition, specifically either an early Lancaster or Lehigh example.  I plan to buy from one of the acknowledged Masters, and my tastes gravitate towards a plain, unadorned shooter (Schimmel) with a long (48" plus) barrel - this reflects my admiration for the lines and overall form of the artists' work in crafting these elegant pieces of technology.  The current photo of the Lehigh Schimmel on Allen Martin's website is the desktop background photo on this particular computer I am using, so I hope that serves to highlight my current thinking for my next rifle!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:17:40 PM »
Buckingham,
That lock and trigger are both my make.The gun was apparently made by someone who
knew what he was doing. That lock is another variant of Ketland. These locks were made
by me when a "Flint Hawken"idea became popular. The lock was not popular because of
my insisting on being paid for the time it takes to make this labor intensive item and most
of them went to Switzerland and Germany. I have no plans to revive it.
Thank you for posting this close up picture.

Bob Roller

Buckingham

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 04:05:44 PM »
Thank you Bob for sharing that information - I am happy to learn that this is one of your lock and trigger sets!

The information given to me by the previous owner is that the gun was built by a gentleman named Dennis Scott who was a contributor to a now-defunct magazine called 'The Buckskin Report.'

I was also able to confirm through Internet-based research that the barrel markings indicate that it was made by William Large.  The barrel is 36" long and .54 caliber.

Again, I am very grateful that you were able to make the time to tell me more about this rifle of mine - I am proud to have it and plan to shoot a lot of patched balls down range!

- Justin

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
Buckingham,
I am thinking perhaps Doug Scott but then I could be wrong.
I remember making a few of these odd Ketlands for him years ago.
Enjoy your rifle,it is a fine looking one made from above average parts
by an above average maker.

Bob Roller

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
The wood finish is similar in color to the brown linseed oil varnish found on many rifles with straight grained stocks.

Would like to know how it was made.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

nosrettap1958

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »
Buck, you have excellent taste in rifles, a Bill Large barrel and a Bob Roller lock and triggers, excellent stuff!!  For a Pennsylvania rifle also ask for a Don Getz swamped barrel.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:32:27 PM by crawdad »

Buckingham

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 02:22:58 AM »
Buck, you have excellent taste in rifles, a Bill Large barrel and a Bob Roller lock and triggers, excellent stuff!!  For a Pennsylvania rifle also ask for a Don Getz swamped barrel.  

I would attribute this to Divine intervention and luck rather than my own good taste - it turns out that the previous owner was indeed an honest man who represented the rifle, and the quality of its components, fairly and correctly, so I am grateful for that!

oldarcher

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 01:54:37 PM »
WOW....You have what I consider to be the most desirable rifle to be found. Others may disagree but it really looks great to me. My knowledge is limited but I believe that Bill Large was the premier barrel maker of his time. I think that it is a late barrel, maybe from the late 70's. The J.J.J.J. was a mark used on the later barrels and I think that the L was for radius groove or special rifling treatment (Bob Roller would know). The lock and trigger by Roller are simply the best made...I think, ever. These are the best parts made and appear to be well assembled. Please do not ever change the finish, (patina) as that look is really great. You have what I think is the "holy grail " of ML rifle finds. Treasure this rifle as it represents the best years of our sport.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 02:12:43 PM »
Oldarcher,
Many thanks for the kind remarks about my locks and triggers on that
Hawken representation.You're right about the barrel,it more than likely
has concaved lands and if in good condition it should perform with or surpass
the best we have today.I made few of those locks for the American market
(or lack thereof)and I think I used the last set of external parts for my own rifle
about 8 years ago.This style of lock is not the best looking one but it would produce
extreme fire and roll it across a floor but most didn't want it and the ones that did
usually spoke German and a little English.
Thanks again for the positive comments.

Bob Roller

anj4de

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 12:21:29 PM »
Hello Bob

I have to say I really like the style of that lock...it looks simply fantastic! And I guess I fit in the discribed client group for such a lock...I am German, living in Southern Bavaria not too far from Switzerland where I have good friends... ;)

thanks a lot
Uwe

bonron

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of BP. This is the place to learn. There are so many knowledgeable folks here. Just listen and don't be afraid to ask questions. I seldom post but I'm on this forum 3-4 times a day soaking up as much info as I can.

jamesthomas

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
 Looks to me like someone hit the lotto!! Bob Roller lock an triggers an a Bill large Barrel! I'm just amazed you were able to find it. An Mr. Roller do not sell yourself short, that is a fine looking lock an I wish I had one.

Offline sz

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 08:07:01 PM »
I am sure that is Dougs stamp. Bob might not be correct about the design of the rifling. Doug always ordered the style Bob described but For reasons of his own, Bill sent the conventional style to him 9 out of 10 times.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 03:23:41 PM »
 Look at the muzzle.The concaved lands stand out like a goose egg in a coal pile.

Bob Roller

Offline Dave R

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 05:02:32 AM »
I visit with Doug Scott at most Friendship Spring & Fall shoots! He seemed to be doing well the last time I saw him! He is very knowledgeable in the muzzleloading world!! I believe he made some guns for the Hawken shop back circa 1980's  Good OL boy!!

Buckingham

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 06:26:19 AM »
Thank you for the information on the rifling - this is the best image I could get of the muzzle using my smartphone:

The lands do not appear to be concave.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 07:30:49 AM »
Thank you for the information on the rifling - this is the best image I could get of the muzzle using my smartphone:

The lands do not appear to be concave.

That is unusual.The lock will be dated and my logo was Roller in a semi circle
 and the year inside the name.After 1989 I used "USA" instead of the year.

Bob Roller

Buckingham

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 04:44:30 PM »
Thank you Bob for the information.  The following image apparently dates the lock to 1978

Offline EC121

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »
Large was famous for sending people what he wanted instead of what they ordered.
Brice Stultz

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »
Large was famous for sending people what he wanted instead of what they ordered.
There were a number of objections to unwanted names and other
remarks on Bill's barrels.I never figured out why he did it or why
he made it a practice of hitting a newly made stock against a big
bench vise every time he was shown a new gun.No damage but it
was a quirk that I thought was weird to say the least.

Bob Roller