Author Topic: As a neophyte to the world of contemporary long rifles...  (Read 22712 times)

Offline smokinbuck

Re: As a neophyte to the world of contemporary long rifles...
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 06:38:55 PM »
I have several Bill Large barrels that are marked with a "L" on the bottom face of the barrel at the muzzle. Maybe I got bad information but I was told that it indicated that Bill himself had done the rifleing, or re cutting, on that barrel.
Mark
Mark

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2015, 03:19:12 AM »
It's an interesting "revival" gun that is pretty well done. Certainly nothing wrong with a gun from the late 70's with a Large barrel and a roller lock with good archetecture.....not that I know anything about Hawken archetecture.... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Tony Clark

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 05:08:03 AM »
Large was famous for sending people what he wanted instead of what they ordered.
I never figured out why he did it or why
he made it a practice of hitting a newly made stock against a big
bench vise every time he was shown a new gun.No damage but it
was a quirk that I thought was weird to say the least.

Bob Roller

That is a beautiful gun I wish I could carry that around...you sure made some nice locks and triggers Bob. They just don't make em like that anymore...

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »
Large was famous for sending people what he wanted instead of what they ordered.
I never figured out why he did it or why
he made it a practice of hitting a newly made stock against a big
bench vise every time he was shown a new gun.No damage but it
was a quirk that I thought was weird to say the least.

Bob Roller

That is a beautiful gun I wish I could carry that around...you sure made some nice locks and triggers Bob. They just don't make em like that anymore...

Thanks for the nice comment on my locks and triggers.I am currently trying to finish work that
 has been here too long and am not taking any more orders,Whether or not I will continue to do
 this type of work is not certain.I still have some material on hand but am not excited about doing
 much with it.

Bob Roller

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 11:45:44 PM »
Mr. Roller,
   The comment about Bill Large stamping names on barrels struck home with me! I had a friend in the 70's by the name of Clyde Ramey (called himself Little Turtle). Clyde had a very nicely made Southern Mountain Rifle that had a Bill Large barrel on it. When Clyde ordered the barrel, he had told Bill that he wanted a 46 inch .45 caliber barrel as light a contour as Bill thought safe. Clyde waited several years for the barrel and when he finally got it, Bill had stamped it "OLD WIDOWS DREAM" on the top flat. Clyde loved the rifle, but hated the stamp enough he was hesitant to show the gun to anyone. Clyde died in the late 70' and I haven't thought about it in many decades. Thank You.  :)
Tom W.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2015, 05:45:27 AM »
Beautiful rifle Buckingham!!  Have fun and be safe!!.... Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!