Author Topic: Caywood Longrifles  (Read 17645 times)

Offline rjpalmer

Caywood Longrifles
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »
any thoughts on on Caywood long rifles?  I have been trying to navigate his website in hopes of learning more about his rifles. are these a good value for a hunter and shooter rather than a collector? I have never seen one of his guns or read much about them.

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Caywood Longrifles
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:53:19 AM »
I own one of Caywood's English Game Guns, 62 caliber, and think it's a great hunting gun.  The lock is the best sparking lock I own.  I believe Danny Caywood has some strong opinions on the merits of jug choking smoothbores and external coning on flintlock vents. 

If you haven't already done so, using the search engine of the ALR website might turn up some more thoughts and pictures on Caywood's products than you've found so far.

SCL

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:16:57 AM »
I'dgive you my opinion, but my Mothers says "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." (I know, I'm turning over a new leaf. ;))
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:14:43 AM »
Save your money and order a rifle from Mike. You will be happier

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:18:18 AM »
Mike, 

I always heard it, "If you can't say something nice...come on over here and sit by me."

Larry Luck

leadslinger62

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
   I have a .62Cal. English Game Flinter Fowler. Bought it off of Gun Broker. It is currently at a M`loader Gunmaker getting the Trigger pull lightened up. It has the screw in choke system and also a fitted .54 Cal. extra Barrel. Due to treh very heavy Trigger pull, I can`t say how well it shoots. Fit and wood is nice but.just not sure about it...yet??

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »
It's really difficult to commit to purchasing a longrifle sight unseen. I have been to a few shows at Bush Run and at Bedford Village to look at the guns that were displayed.
I guess I'll have to make a trip to Dixon's to further my knowledge before making a purchase. I guess Dixon's would be the best bet for me as there is not much available to see near me in SW PA. In the meantime I keep looking and reading the various builder websites and the Contemporary Longrifle Assoc site. 

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »
rj
If you can't make it to Dixons there is a show in Carlisle PA in October which may be a little closer for you.Several of us gunbuilders will be there displaying.

Link to show;http://www.finefolkartandarms.com/

Mitch Yates

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 05:06:02 PM »
If you are in SW PA you are also within a few hours of the CLA annual show in Lexington Kentucky in August.  I would start there - you get the chance to see a great variety of original antique rifles as well as the biggest assortment of contemporary work you will find anywhere, all in one place at one time.  So you can get an idea of styles you like, talk to contemporary builders who build in that style, and get an idea of prices.  And if you come ready to buy there certainly are many nice rifles for sale there. 

Guy

Offline ohiostate

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 02:16:45 AM »
I live in Pittsburgh and have been buying and selling long guns for 40 years.  Maybe we can get together.

Mike R

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »
Perhaps some regional prejudices here?  I do not own one, but have handled several owned by people I have met or know well in these parts [Ark-Okla-Tex-LA-Mo].  Cannot speak for their "rifles", but their smoothbores are popular around here and have accounted for much game.  Several reenactors here carry one of their models.  To be honest, one can quibble with their authenticity ["period correctness"] in detail [tendency toward curly maple where walnut would be correct, too short barrels on average, etc.], but their guns are well made and function well.  Depends on what you are looking for--a shooter or a correct period gun....?  IMHO, their Davy Crockett rifle is overpriced, but maybe I should have kept that to myself...

Mike R

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 03:42:09 PM »
P.S.  check out the two part article in the last two issues of Muzzleloader Mag about turkey hunting in the Ozarks with a Caywood gun.  Some nice pics and good results!   

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 05:42:35 AM »
I have two Caywood northwest trade guns. Both are .58 caliber one has a rifled barrel the other is a smooth bore. Both have English round face locks that really throw sparks. Both shoot very well.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:42:40 AM »
I've had a couple over the years, nice guns, never had any issues. Danny is a nice guy also.
Nit Wit

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 02:53:56 AM »
My personal experience with a Caywood Type D, jug choke, and my associates' experience with other Caywood smoothbores has been good.
On the negative side I do not care for his outside-coned touch hole.
Locks spark very well, guns well made and attractive.

Rifles I dunno. Had a Southern Mountain rifle with a .45 cal Rayl barrel. Beautiful little rifle. Shot great at 25 yards but 8" groups at 50 yds. With enough powder I got that down to 4" but it was a very light rifle & started to be uncomfortable. I am into comfort. Yeah, I know, I don't know how to load, shoot, &c Nevertheless when I made rifles with, for example, Pa Keeler .50 cal 48" barrels I had no trouble sighting them in at 50 yards, with a modest load.

Caywood makes a great smoothbore. His delivery is on the long side.

leadslinger62

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 03:08:00 AM »
  Got My Caywood Fowler back from having the Trigger pull lightened. Gunsmith did a perfect job on it. My Lock will not Spark with the recommended Flint size. But, If I use a 3/4 Flint, it does good. I`m out of .62 Balls and will have a casting session soon. Sure want to try the Trigger out. As a side Question, are the Rifled Barrels accurate shooters??

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 01:40:58 AM »
I could tell Caywood stories that would curl your hair...... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »
I'd prefer stories that would grow my hair!  A curly comb-over is not a great look.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »
I'd prefer stories that would grow my hair!  A curly comb-over is not a great look.

I don't have enough for a comb over!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »
I can only comment on what I have. I bought a 12 ga english game gun kit a few yrs back an had him jug choke it full for turkey hunting. Fit is great, quality seems great, the jug choke job is extra great cause it shoots to POI and very tight patterns. I've never had any problems with any part of it and the outside cone seems just a fast to me as any whitelightning liner I've got. The english lock is the best sparking lock I have and that includes my chambers which I do love dearly but the truth is the truth. The only thing I dont like about the gun is I really like having a back sight on any gun and this one does not. I guess I could probably install one but its a round barrel and I just aint fooled with it yet. The man also did a jug choke on another barrel that I built an it too shoots really great so I would recommend him for barrel work of that kind. I know you were asking about rifles but being I've never bought one from him, this is all I can offer you. Good luck which ever way ya go ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 04:41:30 AM »
I'dgive you my opinion, but my Mothers says "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." (I know, I'm turning over a new leaf. ;))

Mike,

I'm so proud of you. There's hope for you yet.  "LOL"
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
We are all of us still wondering how people like Caywood's .50, .54 & .58 caliber interchangeable rifled barrels.

I like my French smoothbore & at one time would have considered getting a shorter trade gun or whatever with a rifled barrel. Changed direction a bit & provided a light swamped .45 Green Mountain barrel & brass Siler lock to Bob Elka for a Sell one of these days. Still, I'd like to hear someone's experience with Caywood's accuracy.

I would be interested in Mr. Brooks' hair curling offer, if it deals with technical, not commercial, aspects of Caywood stuff. In my opinion if delivery is important to you perhaps you might consider another source, or use some relaxing controlled substances for a period of time.

I am glad to hear that Mr. Wattlebuster likes that outside coned vent. I just used a pin vise & much patience to drill mine out by hand, tiny chip by tiny chip, to a whopping 0.070" dia. Works fine for me now with FFg duPont. Yes, DuPont. I bought a lot of powder once & had a quarter-century hiatus in my black powder shooting.

Pvt. Lon Grifle

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 11:47:22 PM »
I have one of Caywood's Wilson flintlock trade guns in 58 caliber rifled with front and rear sights I got it from Danny in the early 90s. It shoots RB as well as I can shoot anybody's good flintlock RB gun. Its workmanship is as  good as some guns I have paid much more for from recognized makers. I'm satisfied.

It will also accept a naked Minie' (used with a reduced load) and shoot with the Hoyt musket barreled guns I have used for skirmishing.

I never bothered with the smoothbore option though. Like other flintlock guns, if you have to pick the vent due to one of a variety of factors, do so here also. It is a light sweetie in the woods with a reasonable trigger. And as RB hunters know the 58 RB is a whitetail killer.    Lon

Offline LynnC

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2022, 07:34:58 AM »
Resurrected 9 year old thread  :o
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2022, 05:10:14 AM »
 I made this inquiry many years ago. I was very surprised to see it resurrected. Thanks for the replies. I have since bought a flintlock .40 caliber and a .36 caliber percussion rifle both suit my needs for shooting at my little cabin in the woods. Thanks for all of the replies.