Author Topic: Inlines aren't enough for Mississippi hunters  (Read 6047 times)

Elmo

Inlines aren't enough for Mississippi hunters
« on: April 03, 2013, 03:16:09 AM »

Primitive Weapons
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading, shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges. Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons.

A .35 Whelen is a legal primitive weapon cartridge! We must have way too many deer! A big change since I started hunting with a TC Hawken cap lock about 40 years ago.

Offline Daryl

Re: Inlines aren't enough for Mississippi hunters
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 04:22:56 AM »
They kept writing the words until they included most everything except for bolt actioned, pump actioned or autoloading rifles and shotguns.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

knifemaker3

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:21:23 AM »
Our muzzleloader season changed last year in Missouri to alternative methods to include handguns incl. contenders with rifle caliber barrels, airguns, atlas, and I forget what all else.

I'm hoping to get a .50 underhammer finished before deer season to hunt with this year.  May even hunt regular season with it as well depending on how bad I want to process a deer!  ;D

Elmo

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
I am converting a .50 caliber TC Renegade percussion to a .58 caliber flintlock for next season. I have a 36 inch Dehaas barrel and will order a L&R replacement lock. I have one on my Lyman GPR with  1 in 66 twist 50 caliber rifle and it is a fast lock and haven't had a misfire yet. I have a Lyman tang peep sight on it but want to try something else on the 58. I have gotten to the point that I am having a lot of trouble seeing sights. I have found some info that an express type rear and bead front might work. Track has a "chunk gun" rear that might work.

Carlos Gove's Chunk Gun Adjustable Rear Sight
Modeled after an antique rear sight on a heavy barrel percussion target rifle by famous American gun maker Carlos Gove , this sight is sometimes called a "chunk gun sight" since heavy percussion rifles were often shot from prone position with the forend resting on log or "chunk". Use this sight on a late fullstock or heavy barrel halfstock Plains

I am going to try it.
  Elmo

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »
That all sounds good to me, except they forgot to close down any seasons or areas for any multiple shot weapon. I've long been in agreement with Elmer Keith on that point. I'd go so far as to limit shotgunners to single shots too. I don't care if you hunt with an atlatl or a bespoke shotgun. Keep it to having to reload after every shot. Marksmanship just might re-emerge as a skill to strive for.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 05:29:54 AM »
Elmo,  the .35 Whelen might not do too well loaded with black powder.  More a squirrel rifle than deer rifle. 

Offline LH

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 06:07:18 AM »
Have yall looked at bows in the past 30 years?  They're about as primitive as a Polaris missile.   ;D

willyr

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
The latest on the Mississippi primitive weapons seasons is that beginning in 2014 they will no longer exist on private land except for the short season just before the regular gun season. No word on public land, but I assume those seasons will remain as is. This could be confusing unless you do like me and use the ol' smokepole any open gun season. This is all thanks to a board of directors for the wildlife agency who are political appointees and a bunch of legislators who have never been in the woods.
Be Well,
Bill

Elmo

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
Elmo,  the .35 Whelen might not do too well loaded with black powder.  More a squirrel rifle than deer rifle. 
Smokeless loads are legal, they do not have to use black.

Elmo

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
The latest on the Mississippi primitive weapons seasons is that beginning in 2014 they will no longer exist on private land except for the short season just before the regular gun season. No word on public land, but I assume those seasons will remain as is. This could be confusing unless you do like me and use the ol' smokepole any open gun season. This is all thanks to a board of directors for the wildlife agency who are political appointees and a bunch of legislators who have never been in the woods.
Be Well,
Bill
I have used my GPR only for several years. I have no official info but I have hears that you can use a .270 and so on during primitive season on private land.
  Elmo

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:18:28 PM by Elmo »

willyr

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
Elmo, that is correct. When the new rules go into effect it will be weapon of choice on private land in all but the early November season. Private lands will include lands leased to hunting clubs.
Bill

Black Jack

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »
Just think of all the "primitive" H&R/NEF Handi Rifles that will be running around the woods.

Elmo

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 07:48:01 PM »
Because I knew no better my first ML was a H&R that looked exactly like a handy rifle with a collapsible  brass ramrod hanging under the barrel. Maybe it was the first commercial inline?
  Elmo

Black Jack

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Because I knew no better my first ML was a H&R that looked exactly like a handy rifle with a collapsible  brass ramrod hanging under the barrel. Maybe it was the first commercial inline?
  Elmo
Nothing wrong with the H&R Muzzleloaders. I was thinking of the Handi-Rifles chambered for modern cartridges using smokeless powder. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 07:57:50 PM »
Guys, this forum is for traditional muzzleloading rifles so lets not get into discussing other types.
(http://americanlongrifles.org/american-longrifles-privacy-policy-2.htm?action=recent )

I think this topic Has about run its course so I am locking it.
Dennis Glazener
ALR admin
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:02:23 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson