Author Topic: Fowler by Matt Harshbarger  (Read 6954 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Fowler by Matt Harshbarger
« on: April 04, 2013, 05:48:49 PM »
These are pics of a fowler recently completed by my friend Matt Harshbarger .Hopefully he will chime in with more details.It is  20 guage and is loosly based on the work of John Newcomer.Comments are welcome.

Offline Don Getz

Re: Fowler by Matt Harshbarger
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:26:13 PM »
Mitch........thanks for posting this fowler by Matt.  Neat, neat gun.  A very slim gun, top to bottom.  You can only achieve this
when the ramrod hole ends up close to the barrel, 1/8" web will do it.   This will enable you to get the bottom of the stock
fairly flat under the lock, this just makes for a nice, trim gun.   I like your trigger too.  Overall, not too bad for a "banker"...
......Don

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:53:11 AM »
Very nice, Matt. Don is right not too bad for a banker ;D

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 05:25:20 PM »
Very nice looking gun.  I was just thinking about hunting birds with a flintlock.  I've never done it.  It must
take extra concentration to lead the bird after the flash and make the shot.  I'm sure a well tuned flinter
is quick, but there still has to be some added delay.  Is this what makes fowling with flinters fun?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

M.D.H. Flintlocks

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 03:32:36 PM »
I've killed several turkey with a smoke pole and pretty much hunt them exclusively with blackpowder any more.  Lot of fun and quite a challenge.  Best part for me is that I let the birds come in a lot closer than most would.  10 to 15 yards for example.  The guns will reach a lot farther than that, but when you shake like a leaf, the closer they are the less likely I am to miss!

This was a fun build and it will be used this spring for turkey hunting.

Thanks for the complements.  And any critiques only help, they don't hurt, so dont sugar coat them.  This "banker" can take it.
M

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
Your friend Matt truly has done a great job, especially in the wrist area and the lock area.  A really nice looking and slender job.  Well done!

Jim

Meteorman

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:48:02 AM »
Very very nice work Matt.  Slim and graceful.
Only critique I have is the timing - I was gonna post the fowler I just finished; mine looks like a boat oar compared to yours. :-[

If you can get a Pennsylvania bird within 10 yards of ya, you cant be shakin too bad.
Good luck later this month.
 /mike millard

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:11:29 AM »
Beautiful fowler Matt - I'm looking hard and really couldn't fault it for anything - it's a great slim and trim little gun.  This is nitpicking and it might just be the light, but it looks a little bit rough on the wood just above the nose of the lock.  The only other thing I'd say is don't be afraid to add some carving or engraving here and there - I know you know how.   Who is HW?? ;)  Take care Matt!
Best
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

M.D.H. Flintlocks

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
Eric,
I agree 100% with you.  The slenderness of the gun is great which makes it VERY LIGHT!  The clean up on the lock area was missed until after I got some finish on.  Need more shading in the shop.

The only other thing that needed a bit of work was the belly.  It does make the gun slender, however an extra 1/8th of an inch would have really givin it a more soft feel.

Thanks for the comments.  Off to pick up my script for my nerves when those birds come in!

Micah2

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 03:48:19 AM »
nice barrel

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »
I just cant find anything bad to say about it cept it aint in my hands. Great work ;D ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning