Author Topic: Gunbroker  (Read 21179 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Gunbroker
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:29:51 PM »
For those of you who haven't seen it "The most beautiful rifle in the world" is for sale on gunbroker
Description for Item # 335357144  :D
PS I probably shouldn't have done this but.....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 08:35:25 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline PPatch

Re: Gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 08:43:26 PM »
Not only the most beautiful Kentucky lancaster ever, but it is PERFECT in every way AND comes complete with a Bud Silo lock. Does it get any better?
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »
Not only the most beautiful Kentucky lancaster ever, but it is PERFECT in every way AND comes complete with a Bud Silo lock. Does it get any better?
Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when your perfect in every way, can't wait to look in the mirror,
I get better lookin each day. :P
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »
Hey, the turkey has a nice beard!

longcarbine54

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:28:05 AM »
"THIS IS NO DOUBT THE MOST BEAUTIFUL RIFLE IN THE WORLD",  "BUT THIS RIFLE IS BEST OF BEST",  "PERFECT BORE", "PERFECT WOOD TO METAL FIT", " PERFECT BRASS IN LAYS",  "PERFECT ADJUSTABLE  SET" ,"PERFECT FIT", "PERFECT ACTION AND TIMING","AND GOD GAVE GIFTS TO MAN".....etc....
I guess this is a "PERFECT" rifle made from a "PERFECT"" human being, and humble too.....LMAO??????
Good Grief!...LOL

Dogshirt

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:03:24 AM »
Enh!

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »
The guy that is selling the rifle is not the maker.........he is just exploiting another man's work. The guy is only trying to make a buck and if he could sell somebody a bridge he would.

The maker is a fellow named Milo Bragg and he is an experienced and good craftsman who has built numerous rifles. He also does sandcastings of original antique capboxes, guards and butplates. Milo is also very, very humble and would never elaborate on himself to this degree. He lives in a small town in Northern Ohio, close to Toledo and should you ever come across one of his rifles you would be amazed at the fit and finish, he does an exceptional job.

Poke fun at the seller, but the maker shouldn't receive these sort of jabs.......

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »
Absolutely wasn't intended to disparage the gunmaker.  Just making fun of this snake oil saleman.
The inletting on the rifle is extremely well done in fact it looks like a very nice rifle overall.  I just
got a chuckle out of the desription.  It is...over the top.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:22:56 PM by Shreckmeister »

Dogshirt

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 06:55:21 PM »
In looking at ALL the pictures, and I can't fault the seller for stinting on those, I'd say that he was ALMOST correct.
This is a beautiful rifle and the fit is exceptionally nice! But like others, I think the seller was more than a bit over the top.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 08:14:47 PM »
Ok I give up, how do I search for this on GB because I entered this ID# and is says 0 matches. I have just GOT to see this ;)
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »

Rootsy

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 09:20:40 PM »
$3500 and he wants you to toss in $38 for shipping too?  What a deal.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13:05 PM »
Well I gave the rifle a look, instead of the glance I gave it before - it is well made, inlay work quite good. If I were to pick on it I would remark on the the trigger guard which seems chunky to my eye. The rifle would have sold its self...  ;)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:58:27 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bennypapa

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 01:28:24 AM »
I agree that the sales pitch isn't needed. It looks to be a well made rifle. NOT $3000 dollars worth but well made.

That listing on the other hand should be taken out behind the garage and beaten with a knotted rope.

Dogshirt

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 02:22:42 AM »
I agree that the sales pitch isn't needed. It looks to be a well made rifle. NOT $3000 dollars worth but well made.

That listing on the other hand should be taken out behind the garage and beaten with a knotted rope.

That's the way I saw it, but wanted to keep it on the family level! Kick him in the ribs also!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »
A much lower opening bid would have gone a long way toward selling that gun.
Honestly, $3500 is all the money in that one and then some.

John
John Robbins

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 03:56:02 PM »
I sure hope that  if, and when, they sell this gun, they will give the buyers name, address, and phone number.   I have some
neat rifles and other things that will just blow him away, including a bridge...........Don

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 03:17:56 AM »
This is definately a nice rifle.As I pride myself on bein a serious bs'er,and most of my friends will agree,this fellow hawkin this gun has me beat by a longgggggggggggway!lol.I have a similar rifle ,built by Joe Gillispie,of Kingwood ,Wva,ca 1980,that is equal to the work here,and priced wayyyyyyyyy less.It is on Gunsinternational.com.Dave

Dean2

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
For those of you who haven't seen it "The most beautiful rifle in the world" is for sale on gunbroker
Description for Item # 335357144  :D
PS I probably shouldn't have done this but.....

That was well worth the look and read. This guy puts a Carny caller to shame. Nice rifle, not $3500 nice though and it has two big flaws. Lock is on the wrong side and it is percussion. :-)

dragonslayer44

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »
The rifle is still there after a year but the buy it now price has dropped to $1995.00! Guess nit nwas a tad overpriced and maybe still is!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 03:57:35 AM »
There's a Jud Brennan rifle for sale on CLA for a mere $35,000. Interesting write-up there too.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

brooktrout

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
I have seen both guns and it gives rise to a question I have had since day one of my interest.  The first question I had of a mentor was what makes this gun worth $1000 and that one worth $3000.  As he pointed out features it all came down to condition and quality of the build as to the ones I was looking at.  Both were "older" comtemporary guns.  The differences were pretty obvious but I wanted to know if there was more.  I can also see value added for the degree of features added.  Silver "wire", extensive brass, detailed carving, etc.

But I still see a vast spread of prices on contemporary guns which appear on the surface to be very similar in finished quality.  And I also understand the reputation of the builder factors in but I have seen photos of guns for $3000 to $5000 which look "as good as" a Brennan gun at $35,000.  Is the Brennan name worth $30,000?. Is any name worth $30,000?   It also seems that gun values are sort of like car values.  Highest prices when purchased from the maker or otherwise "new".  THAT, I understand.  A gun which takes 150 hours to complete cannot match the gun taking 300 hours to complete so the valuation is in the labor and features added by the labor when buying from the original maker.  So if you assume the gun remains unfired and the condition remains "excellent or perfect"? will the price in future sales remain consistant or maybe only adjusted by economic conditions....or the death of the maker!  COMMENTS??? 

galamb

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 05:44:40 PM »
You have kinda answered your own question.

If "someone" thinks a name is worth 30K then it is.

It's no different with originals. On the Julia site right now there is a number of rifles listed.

Why is an "outstanding" rifle by M. Fordney only estimated at 18-22K when the "best" Armstrong is estimated at 90-150K (and if the last auction is an indicator it will top the 200K mark).

Is "Armstrong" worth 7 to 10X "Fordney".

The obvious answer is YES, because enough people believe it to be true.

Does it make sense from a logical point of view, probably not. Is the Armstrong rifle built better/stronger/faster than the Fordney - maybe yes, maybe no, maybe they are technically/artistically identical if you were comparing specific points of comparison.

You or I could build a rifle and it may be every bit as good/pretty/well inlet etc and have exactly the same parts as one of the noted builders (including more than a few on this site).

But will "Bob Generalpublic" be willing to drop 3K, 4K, 5K on one of "our" rifles when he can get one from a "reconized/sought after builder" for exactly the same asking price?

The same reason why a W. Large barrel commands a premium today. You could well argue that most of the offerings today are "superior", yet if one of Bill's barrels comes up for sale it will usually sell for somewhat more than any from the contemporary makers today.

Why? because there is a little more status/desirability/mystique to having a rifle with a Large barrel compared to say a Colerain or GM.

If you are looking for an answer that will withstand some sort of "scientific method" you will not find one, because "want" and "makes sense" do not "overlap".

tuffy

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
Well, after all is said & done, I would still have to give that seller my business card. It reads:
"My card, sir. I am somewhat of a BS'er myself but occasionally I like to listen to a PROFESSIONAL. Please carry on".  ;D ;D ::)

CW

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 11:15:47 PM »
Brooktrout,
     You said "but I have seen photos of guns for $3000 to $5000 which look "as good as" a Brennan gun at $35,000.  Is the Brennan name worth $30,000?. Is any name worth $30,000?  "   My experience is
that rifles cannot be judged by photographs, no matter how good the photos are.  If you were to hold the two rifles side by side, you would see and feel a vast difference between them.  You really need to
handle hundreds of originals and contemporaries before you can appreciate the nuances and the
workmanship.  Brennan's work is not appreciated for his name.  He is a master gunbuilder who
executes beautiful rifles.  If the $3-$5K rifle were as good, he would be The Guy with the name.