Author Topic: Collecting Contemporary Longrifles - some questions  (Read 27318 times)

steveA

Re: Collecting Contemporary Longrifles - some questions
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
Wolfgang,
   I am certain that in no way did you intend for "simple" question to engender the type of responses you received. Understand that we are all passionate about our work or collections.
   In an attempt to answer your question, I begin with this simple premise, we see the longrifle and its' accompanying accoutrements as art. Period. So, as art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I know, a little cliche, but true. The great contemporary makers, many of whom are members of this forum, use aging or distressing as just another tool to achieve their artistic goals. Art should inspire, make one think, or tell a story.  Often aging is one of the "brush strokes" that our maker friends use to achieve the aforementioned objectives.  
    I am a knife maker. I have studied/worked with Frank House for 20 years.  He made it VERY clear to me (those of you that know Frank personally know that he can be VERY clear) that aging should be used to provide a feel, and hint at a history of a piece. It should never be used to cover poor workmanship (yes, he directed that toward me). I think we all can agree that he has mastered that technique.  I strive for it. I still make shiny pieces, but frankly they just don't have the warmth that the others have in my opinion.
   Opinion, a wonderful thing opinion, and thank goodness for it. It provides all of us that do this for a living to have a chance at pleasing someone with our work.  I am really glad that we all like a little bit different version of this art form.
   I think we all should be happy about that.

Steve Auvenshine
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:20:17 PM by steveA »

jimc2

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 07:23:26 PM »
Seems to me egos are driving this. Come on lets agree to disagree hug and kiss and make up KIDS.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »
I don't see why this can't be discussed.  For example, I think Steve's recent post said a lot.  There doesn't have to be a right or wrong.  It's good to understand why choices are made and things are done as they are.  I think the key to all this, at least at the upper level, is the word "feeling".   That's what the really good stuff does.  It creates feelings.  Makes you imagine things.  Causes you to want to run your hands over it and feel the texture.  Makes you not want to put it down etc. .....   Building a gun is easy, but trying to make something more is what it's about to myself and many others.

And you can be sure that making something beyond a functional gun doesn't require patina or aging.  Take for example a fowling piece by Mark Silver or Monte Mandarino.  These might be crisp shiny and new, but can still be something remarkable.  Perhaps carving by Wallace Gusler...  This work might be finished "as new", but his beautiful designed and sculpted carving with all the facets and texture create something that draws you in.  Or it might be a Hershel House rifle.  Not necessarily "aged" in a convincing fashion, but something that has tremendous warmth, interest and appeal.  There are lots of approaches.  Done well, they all can create fantastic results.

Jim

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:17:15 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »
Agree 100% this is a good topic.  But anyone starting with the request, "Please explain to me (definitively, clearly, quantitatively, until I understand, am satisfied with your explanation, and concur, etc) what you like about aged new guns" is unlikely to be either open or satisfied with the discussion.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
 So how does one represent the Rev-War period with a  Rev-War period gun that is aged to the point it would have been in 1840 or 1900? How does this work? This is my issue, not with the aging so much, unless its used to camouflage sloppy work, its that it puts the guns out of context.
Does it look cool? Sure, it can be very appealing if not over done. But its still fantasy. Folks that think its not might want to back off and think about it. There are aged guns that look older than some originals.
Would it be representative for someone explaining life in the 18th c to tourists in costume to have a rifle that looks 200 years old? Or one that represents what the gun looked like when it was 1 or 5 years old be more HC? What would give the more accurate impression for the visiting tourist? Would it be OK for his clothing to be ragged, grossly stained and 1/2 rotted like some of the originals garments now are?
It obvious that some age guns simply as an artistic statement, look what I can do, its different. So be it.
I think people stock guns in ash for the same reason. Its different, I can't see any particular reason to use it otherwise. But thats just me.

So far as amateurish.
This covers a lot of ground where MLing is concerned. A great deal is "amateurish" when compared to the originals or modern firearms.
I see some horribly misshapen guns shown here and on the Contemporary Blog and people who should know better will give these "amateurish" guns accolades.  Apparently its not what someone does but where they are located and who knows them that is the key.
People insist on using short lived plastic finishes and modern synthetic dyes and stains that are not really color fast in many cases. What is this? Professional?
Barrels made in an amateurish manner that leaves random scratches running down the bore is another example. Or barrels with large variations in bore diameter. Certainly not professional grade barrel making.  But the average  ML maker  or user does not seem to pay much attention to such things and I dare not put names to it. This has nothing to do with material BTW which is another subject, just workmanship. Barrels that people seem to gleefully accept as "quality" in the ML "world" could not be given to shooters in other disciplines if they had to use them. 
Is this "professional"? No. But often its based on the cheapness of the ML BUYER. So its a Catch 22. People want to pay hobby home prices for barrels (for example) so they get a hobby quality barrel.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
And I used to think I was a grumpy old curmudgeon..... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »
Mike
You are very amateurish at being a curmudgeon ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mitch

Offline JDK

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
Dan, It took you a while, but you finally made a good point, whether you meant to or not.  I too laugh when I see a "reenactor" representing a period 200+ years ago using a gun that appears as if it's been around for 200 years. :D

That's a different thing than the collector who is buying representative pieces because they appear to be well cared for 200 year old antiques.  There's a place for everything.  Is it a "niche"?  Sure.  Are there guys building bad ones?  Sure, but as you pointed out, there are guys building mishappen guns that appear "new" also.

As far as heaping praise on guns that otherwise don't measure up to historical standards, sometimes it has to be put into context.....new builder making a first or second attempt, old hand trying something out of their box, etc.  Critique doesn't always have to be rough.

Barrel interiors?  I don't see many guys posting pictures of the interiors of the barrels on their builds here.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline art riser

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
Different strokes for different folks...

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 04:30:47 PM »
I think I've said it at least two times previously in this thread alone, but here it goes again.  "Aging", patination etc. doesn't have to be representative of the what the real thing would look like.  It's okay to many if it doesn't!  Sure it's a fantasy.  Look at Jud Brennan's amazing work for example.  A search on Art and Jan's site will show many examples.  With that said, there are a few that have done aging that is convincing.  It too can be wonderful.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
So how does one represent the Rev-War period with a  Rev-War period gun that is aged to the point it would have been in 1840 or 1900? How does this work? This is my issue, not with the aging so much, unless its used to camouflage sloppy work, its that it puts the guns out of context.
Does it look cool? Sure, it can be very appealing if not over done. But its still fantasy.

This statement is confusing to me. Why is building a new looking Rev-War rifle, today, any less "fantasy" than building a Rev-War rifle, today, and making it appear as it may have looked in 1840 or 1900? Neither is representative of a "modern" rifle. Both builds would be a "fantasy" look back into the history of a Rev-War period rifle. Some may wish to view the rifle as it came off the makers bench while other prefer to see it as it appeared after years of use. As Art said, different strokes for different folks, nether being wrong in my mind.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »
It's possible to know people with different opinions and approaches and not think or say they are fools.  In my experience, re-enacting is a small segment of the current longrifle culture, but one that is full of debate and camps.  Events range from "rondy's" to juried events, and folks who are sticklers in one area (guns) may be quite uneducated and appear as rubes when it comes to clothing and other material culture (that would be me).  And vice versa.  Whether or not a re-enactor should use a new looking gun, horn, clothing, etc is up to them.  It's their hobby for heaven's sake. 

Among those who purchase custom or semi-custom (use your own definitions here) longrifles, are target shooters, hunters, re-enactors, plinkers, and some who are just decorating their homes or purchasing a piece of craftsmanship.  It's possible that some makers think they've become the be-all and end-all, the final word, but I have not experienced that.  Most just love longrifles and the process of building them, and are striving for that "look" or "feel".  There are different ways of achieving their goals and one of them is patination of "aging".  Sometimes a label like "aging" can confuse the whole discussion. It's really patination we're talking about in most cases.  Patination appeals to many customers; that's the bottom line.

Just try to figure out how well "as new" powder horns sell compared to "aged" ones.  Horns I made 30 or 40 years ago aren't even very yellow yet.  The "as new" horns of the 70's generally were fantasy pieces scrimmed with art styles never present on originals.  Can't tell you how many finely rendered bugling elks I've seen on traders's row back in the day.  Were the owners proud of their "as new" white, bugling elk horns?  Darn tootin.  They pays the money, they get to choose. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Here's another way to look at it.  When making a longrifle, a person works within some historical context or framework.  How rigid or constraining this is depends ultimately on what the builder values and wants to create.  I've seen various categories created to label modern made longrifles, but for me this is what it really comes down to.  The balance between historical correctness and artistic liberties.  Everybody draws the line somewhere. 

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »
Wolf, You describe what you collect and why, pretty much. So why expand your comments to a facet of this gun building that you find objectionable, namely "distressed" guns. It is an art in itself, and last I heard the government has not mandated that collectors must have a certain number of these in their collection. I will assume that like most collectors, you expect your collection to appreciate in value as time passes. Right now you can find used and brand new "distressed" guns by Mike Brooks that are way under priced in my opinion and some day, I believe, they will be a very high priced, hot ticket item, appreciating in a proportion way beyond the high priced contemporary guns sold today. I would be willing to bet their are more than a few contemporary collectors out there, maybe not as narrow in their thinking as you, that have at least one and probably more of these thoughtfully done and believable "distressed" guns in their collection. Its a pretty big field with a relatively small number of people in it, with plenty of room for everybody.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
Just a bit of math...not my strong suit, but the way I total it even if a guy seriously used a brand new contemporary made piece every single Saturday and Sunday come rain or shine, summer winter spring and fall 24/7 trying to "age it naturally"...it would still take him about 7 years to accumulate the "natural" patina of use and abuse one year of actual Rev War field service would have heaped onto a soldiers equipment in just one year...and the rev war lasted for how many years?

So I'm curious, what did an actual rev war piece actually look like by the end of the war?
Or does the appearance of a rev war piece only count at the beginning it?

This isn't exactly an answer to the question about aging stuff ...as has been pointed out I don't think there is one, but it is something I think about every time this topic comes up...
tc
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:14:35 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 11:47:16 PM »
Lewis and Clark come to mind.  Their guns needed a lot of maintenance including rough, field freshing of the rifling on a 3-year voyage.  With all the different conditions and variations in roughness of use and care, it's not possible to say what a gun should have looked like after 1, 2 or 50 years of service.  Obviously many were roughly used.  That rough usage may have often come after they were old and considered obsolete aned expendable.  But I know my father in law's 30-30 barn/pickup truck gun looked pretty bad after 40 years of use/abuse and never experienced 100 rounds a year.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 07:21:01 AM »
I think I've said it at least two times previously in this thread alone, but here it goes again.  "Aging", patination etc. doesn't have to be representative of the what the real thing would look like.  It's okay to many if it doesn't!  Sure it's a fantasy.  Look at Jud Brennan's amazing work for example.  A search on Art and Jan's site will show many examples.  With that said, there are a few that have done aging that is convincing.  It too can be wonderful.

And I agree with this post. The look can be enchanting.

However, this does not change what it is. Though "wannabe" may seem an extreme word for it, its actually about as tame as comes up in my face to face conversations on such things. Some are far less kind and not from me.

If its not representative why do it? How far do we stretch it? Would rhinestone studs or crystal beads set in the stock and a plastic Winchester buttplate  then be "ok" if someone wanted it to be that way? It would still be art and the shiny stuff would add "bling" so who cares if its "representative"?  What is the point of making a non-representative Kentucky rifle? Other than for "Lookee what I did!"

I also see a divide between users and "viewers" in many cases though there is some cross over, its obvious that many rifles are wall hangers. Some apparently cannot abide an unused gun but have no desire to actually use one. Of course this process is far too slow even if used unless the gun is intentionally abused.
For example.
I have a rifle I have hunted with off and on and shot for over 25 years now don't know how many deer I have shot with it and one elk.  I gave  2000 for it 25 years ago and drove home laughing. Given my income at the time it was a lot of money. I have a friend who hunted and guided with his as his only rifle for a couple of years after a divorce. Lots of horseback use. Neither rifle looks aged or even has any real "patina". Why? Because its valued and it HAS TO WORK letting it get rusty, letting it get wet so the wood may swell interferes with this. There are some dents or dings but they don't look like rifles people age.  For one thing they have not been exposed to 200 years or so of coal smoke chemicals to change the finish.
I know of a third that has killed bunch of deer and elk over the 40+ years since it was made and its even been aged a little by an expert  then owner (and confirmed faker) and IT does not look like the aged guns I see here. So I do have a few points of reference.
Two of the three are in this photo. Can anyone pick them out? Which is the "closet queen"?

A friend bought a really fine example of a contemporary rifle that was so encrusted with tobacco smoke residue from hanging on a wall that the rather elaborate decoration and engraving was largely obscured. It was not really a rifle when purchased, it was a decoration to hang on the wall and not even bother to wipe off now and then.

Below is a used gun with honest wear for the area it was used in and the finish applied. No way of knowing how long it was in use. But these rifles went away pretty rapidly out here when the "Needle guns", Sharps and Rolling Blocks using 70 or more grains of powder arrived circa 1868-69. 10-20 years maybe? 30? The plains rifles were more effective hunting rifles than the Spencers and early Winchesters. This rifle was surely carried in a cover.

Its finished with a soft brown varnish, at least its reddish-brown now, that really has no checks its just worn off in places. I am not sure rifles with better wood were finished in this manner, however. Knowing what to look for I am sure its a horseback gun though its almost a forgone conclusion seeing the wear pattern is nice confirmation. BTW most "saddle wear" on guns is actually WAGON wear. Wagons eat stock wood. Saddles not so much.
Also trying to determine how much wear is put on a gun in a given period of time in the past is impossible. There are too many factors. Including if the gun/rifle was owned by or issued to the person using it. Rifle covers are known in the rev-war period and these can greatly reduce wear and damage to the gun. I suspect it was more likely the stock would be broken than the finish would turn black.
I tend to look at the rifle as the people who bought the originals would have, I don't  want second hand looking new stuff. People back in the day expected something they paid a lot of money for to look good. Aging a rifle is like taking a new car someplace to have the windshield cracked, the paint "keyed", be rusted in the fenders and rocker panels before its taken home so it looks more like the neighbor's 75 Chevelle. Somewhat akin to people letting the INTERIOR of the barrel rust to get the proper "look". Can't have an aged rifle with a clean bore after all...
To me its much like the guy I seen get out of his pickup at the Drive-In in Livingston a couple of years ago. Black fatigues with a collection on military patches and awards sewn on. He wanted to be something he very obviously was not. Wannabe by definition. Didn't pay the dues but wants the "look" or what he THINKS the "look" is.

Nor was it my intention to attack PEOPLE but the CONCEPT, I worded it badly. But I don't know of a word that describes the need for aged guns OTHER than "wannabe" through the efforts of the gunsmith the guns are pretending to be something they are not. This has nothing to do with the skill needed to do the work BTW.

Here is a selection of rifles all by the same maker as the first three. One was made in 1959, one was made in 1963 at least one probably circa 1980. The one made in 1963 has seen a lot of use, killed something like a 150 squirrels, other small game, one deer and won a lot of matches, been recut to a larger caliber, been sold 4-5 times at least after it was no longer the makers personal rifle. Can it be picked out by someone who does not know which was used a lot and others hardly at all? On close inspection maybe but not from this photo. Its more subtle than that. The silver is worn in places, weak engraving. Where is all the black goo in the protected areas?  The gun is not old enough to have a blackened finish nor was it exposed to sulfur from burning coal spending most or all its life west of the Mississippi. Few Colonial guns were either. Extensive use of coal in later times is thought to the mechanism for darkening of oil based varnishes. So its likely that prior to widespread use of coal and the steel making that REALLY increased its use there was little to darken the finish. Or so I am told.

To be fair the bottom rifle is the 1959. He told me he used AF on some early guns and it was too acid and he did not know to neutralize.

I am often a little too direct and know I may lack tact in some discussions and tend to say what I think. As a result I tend to stay out of discussions in which it matters not the least what the facts really are but in reality its more about WHO does things and WHO knows WHO than much of anything else. Known people can be guilty of incredible statements but get a pass here with no comment. A lawyer that reads here said about one post "that was really dumb" from a legal/liability standpoint.
Anyway I up and posted part of what I thought here. I screwed up, what can I say?

There are likely 1/2 dozen people who post or read here who have met me that I know of. Where as most of the eastern guys know everyone at least in passing, face to face discussions, with the facial expressions and body language are different than he written word.
People in the inter-mountain west who build Kentucky's tend to be viewed, and even treated, as some undesirable sub-species by some in the east regardless of their work. Frankly ladies and gentlemen its insulting and speaks volumes...When combined with what I have been told by people (one a LONG time attendee) who attend Dixon's it becomes a pattern of, dare I say it? Discrimination perhaps?.
Distasteful? Yeah, but thats how its been found to be by some both east and west. Again I don't know any other way to put it.  Maybe "we" should be more accepting of makers and makers organizations in the west.

I could give an example or three but details would possibly identify others who might not want to be involved.
But in the end it comes down to "I wanna do it that way" for what ever reason. Such as "I want a certain look so I use black paint and synthetic dyes and finishes rather than doing it the way it was done back in the day because the stock won't look right done like the originals".  ??? 

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

westerner

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
What a great thread. Way to deep and intellectual for me. So I'd like to say that new guns should look new and old guns should look old.  As far as movie prop guns, they should look.......... uh,,,,,,,,,,,............well, uh, New but used?  

Aged new guns seem out of place to me, but I like looking at them and admire the makers talent.

I don't buy pre washed jeans!!  

Excellent post, Wolfgang.

Wes

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:50:11 AM by westerner »

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »
Just curious...does this wannabe theory also apply to the restoration of old guns...?
tc

Offline jrb

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
Everyone knows that answer, if you're restoring old guns at the drive-in, wearing black prewashed jeans, it's perfectly clear, you can't  fix no guns.
There i said it , cause that's just how i am and this is all about ME  ;)

Offline bgf

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »
I like some of the aged guns a lot.  Some look like an art project and don't seem "aged" at all, but rather decorated.  I like some of the "as new" guns, while others look like Remchesters.  I've seen people pant over T/C's and Pedersoli's which I wouldn't give 10 cents for aesthetically.  The same goes for overdone rifles such as Bivens, who at least knew what he was doing.

One thing I think aging is being used for is to compensate for the anachronistic standards of perfection that are used for some new guns.  It may seem odd, but I generally hate the contemporaries that are perfect in line, flawless in fit, and in all other ways resemble either factory made or, perhaps worse, English Bespoke work.  I've seen several times that it is possible to pick out an original from across a room, even if it is hidden in a rack of contemporaries -- the contemporaries have such straight lines where the lines are supposed to be straight and smooth curves elsewhere; the originals are done competently, or well enough, but there are always signs they occurred before the machine age changed our expectations to such uniformity.  I don't like sloppy work (although I live with it when I have to, if I made it :)), but producing an American Longrifle in a manner inconsistent with the originals seems disrespectful to me.  Anyway, aging is only a symptom of a larger issue in my mind.  In the end, however, each should have exactly what he prefers!

PS. I'm wearing baggy pants right now :)!

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 05:25:23 PM »
My 2 cents,wanna be's should NOT touch a gun with the intent of restoring! Totalagreement with jrb!

I love this subject! My living,and a rather good one,thank you very much( ;D),was made restoring Antiques for the public and museum's. Creating patina,good patina,is a talent that is developed after years of reasearch and trial and error.

Another thing to remember is,well used gun's were worn OUT. Good parts re-used,worn out stuff re-purposed. how many gun barrel hide scrapers have you seen? Ever wonder how much "Patina" that gun had before the barrel was given to a Squaw as a time saving gift?

(sorry about your class Tim! Should have sent my dough in sooner!)

(I'm wearing PJ'S)
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
I was actually challenging the logic that was used to say that aging a new gun made one a wanna-be...

following that train of thought would also seem to preclude restorations or else relegate them to wanna-be status too...

in the one case the new gun is made older....in the other case the old gun is made newer... ???

to me, both have their place and are often executed by true artists...not wanna-bes' as per the context implied above.
tc
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:07:41 PM by T.C.Albert »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »
To the question of how far things can be pushed or what the limits are...  This is difficult to answer.  I believe it's safe to say, that those who are most succesful with this stuff have a solid foundation in what was originally done.   With this, the limits can be pushed a long ways.  Those without the strong foundation find less success in my view.   Done well, some pretty crazy stuff could be done, that in my view, couldn't help but to be appreciated.  It's hard to fight off appeal. 

Dogshirt

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 02:39:55 AM »
My self, NO interest in an "aged" firearm. I'll put my age and dings on it by myself, thank you very much.
I have to agree with Dan, it's for wannabes. Artificial ageing, not matter how "artistically done has a reverse appeal to me, I think it makes the piece look tacky.  $0.02