Author Topic: $2 knife  (Read 3626 times)

gizamo

$2 knife
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:50:53 AM »
Found this old cannon barrelled knife in a $2 bin....  ;)

A bit of reshaping produced a interesting knife that should get me by for this years events.

Offline pathfinder

Re: $2 knife
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 04:07:49 AM »
Cannon barreled? Why is it called that. I have a bunch of these horn handled knives,and they make great patch knifes when the blades are re-shaped. Perfect size for the strap.

Nice job.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

gizamo

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
Really not sure how the Sheffield and London makers knifes of this era and type became known as cannon barrel knifes....other than the obvious ease of description of the handle and pummel.  I have seen Dutch trade knives with a similiar pattern. Not sure if the French did the same....

What is nice about these originals are their abundance in thrift stores to junk shops. With a little rework, they make a nice looking period knife.  And the early carbon steel holds a sharp edge.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:27:41 PM by gizamo »

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »
As long as you go super slow and quench a lot, they will stay razor sharp for quite a while!

Frog's named 'em? That explains a lot! ::)
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

rickevans

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
Nice find and nice "re-make", it should serve you well. I have a box full and as Pathfinder says, go slow, quench frequently and you will have a nice patch/bag/game knife.
 I like the sheath you made too.