Author Topic: Gunsmiths of Alabama  (Read 2425 times)

JBW

Gunsmiths of Alabama
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »
I had recently had the pleasure and privilege of collaborating with Tom Kilgo on a booklet on Alabama gunsmiths, paperback, nominally 8.5 by 11 inch size. It's usual listing of men who worked as gunsmiths in AL, with varying amounts of information as available. Next is a brief essay on those who made arms for the Glorious Cause [that CSA, Yankees]. Last there's a selection various guns made in AL with a few imported and sold there. Some seller has them up on eBay a $15 + $3 postage. I have no financial or other interest in this book. It is highly unlikely that there will be another such book in the foreseeable future. Since it has the ISBN number I assume also that Amazon, etc., will have it.

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Gunsmiths of Alabama
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 03:05:59 PM »
Jim, Was some of Dan Wallace's research available to help with this book? I know at one time he had accumulated quite a bit.
JIM

JBW

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 05:24:05 PM »
Apparently Tom Kilgo was related to the late Dan Wallace. Dan was a true gentleman & scholar. He aroused much discord amongst the rich & wealthy or his accurate and well documented research on the Higgins Family. So, yes, in several ways, Dan's presence is apparent throughout the book. The book also reflects research done by Jerry Noble. Unlike so MANY "researchers" Dan and Jerry freely exchanged information. To my knowledge Dan never published anything but w/o him these books -- mine, ours, Jerry's-- would not be possible.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:43:25 AM »
Jim, it is good to see you on ALR.  I now have my copy of Gunsmiths of Alabama and I congratulate you and Tom Kilgo for providing the longrifle community with information heretofore unavailable.  There were a number of great gunsmiths who worked in Alabama (Kennedys, Bulls, etc.), and hopefully more Alabama guns will now be identified.  Best regards to you.
Wayne Elliott
Wayne Elliott