Author Topic: jerrywh, Satin oil finish  (Read 3866 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
jerrywh, Satin oil finish
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:44:58 AM »
jerrywh, and others,

I've been using the "Satin oil finish" recipe that jerrywh gave us a couple of years ago with great success.  (using Permalyn)

BUT... I am just finishing up a beautiful cherry NE fowler, and no matter how hard I try, I just can't get the shine off the finish.

The more I go over it, the shinier it gets. 

What's up??? Old finish?? Wrong type of nylons??

Also, jerrywh, mentioned that "Teak oil finish" works even better than Permalyn.  Have had no luck finding "teak oil" except for the Watco brand @ Home Depot.  Is that what we're talking about??

Thanks in advance.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: jerrywh, Satin oil finish
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:19:06 PM »
Dane,

Has it occurred to you that God may intend for cherry fowlers to be shiny????:o

If you don't buy that one, have you tried using rotten stone & oil to rub it down??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

rmatt

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 02:45:10 PM »
Smallpatch
I'm not sure exactly what you need but teak oil should be available in most marine stores. Not knowing where you are from--you know landlocked try this site and just search teak oil. Hope this helps.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HomePageView?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001
Bob

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:21:38 PM »
Dr Tim,

Obviously, He does.  This one is just not cooperating.  :o As usual though, I've decided MY way is best.  I've also decided at this stage of my life, that God MUST have a sense of humor.  >:( (Other wise I'd have been struck down a very long time ago).

rmatt,

Thanks for the help as well.

Jerrywh answered me offline, and got me taken care of. 

I hope to post photos next week end.
In His grip,

Dane