Author Topic: longrifle show in tenneessee.  (Read 9440 times)

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
longrifle show in tenneessee.
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:55:04 AM »
O.K. Guys, Who all is going to the longrifle show in tenneessee the 19th and 20th of this month? It will be my 1st show ever to attend.
I am looking forward to meeting you guys.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Scott Bumpus

Re: longrifle show in tenneessee.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 05:56:08 AM »
I plan to be there saturday. 
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline rsells

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:08:24 AM »
I will be there both days, and will be hanging out at the contemporary display of Southern rifles.   In the past, they have put the display in front of the stage on the left side of the room.
                                                                                      Roger Sells

Dancy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
I'll be there, just look for the tall, blonde, chuncky (fat) guy and say hello!

Great show if you like iron mounted, southern mountain rifles!

James

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
I plan to attend, the show is only 177 miles up I-75 from me and attending feels like a good way to kick off Spring and not only see some nice rifles but great country. Might do a little camping and fishing southeast of Chattanooga too. I can't wait to hit a trout stream this spring.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 12:17:13 AM »
I will have a table there both days. I really enjoy this show. Only missed a couple since the first one was held at this location (Buford Blanton). Love the bar-b-q dinner on Friday night.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

ken

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 12:33:54 AM »
Great   where in Tenn. is the show being held?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 12:38:58 AM »
Its held here http://museumofappalachia.org/ and a fine place it is.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 02:10:41 AM »
What time
 is the dinner friday night?
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Dancy

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »
I believe the dinner is around 6 pm. They usually have bar-b-que pork and chicken.

It's not a large show but very nice and the museum is really a great place to have it. They have original log cabins all over the site that you can tour, farm animals roaming around and approximately 250,000 items from the old days on display!

Oh, the show is about 15 miles north of Knoxville, a town called Norris.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 05:08:15 PM by J. Dancy »

eagle24

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »
I'll be there both days.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 11:17:05 PM »
Thanks to all of you for replying. Be sure to look me up while there. I will be most honored to meet you and talk to you all. I have alot of catching up to do on the topic of longrifles and building in general. To the countless others who havent replied please do by all means if you are coming, or even if your not if you desire to.

Thanks to all of you,

Tim G. Compton ,Sr.      A.L.R. name (topknot)
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 05:35:49 AM »
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.  Anyone who posts on ALR is automatically invited to the Tennessee Kentucky Rifle Show, April 19-20.  To attend, you don't need to contact me ahead of time, just show up and pay your $10 admission. However, if you want to join us for the BBQ dinner on the Museum grounds Friday at 6:00 p.m., complete with some good mountain music, please send me an email and let me know so I can commit to enough food! (It is a bargain at $20, which includes your show admission).

There are going to be a number of great rifles- antique and contemporary- at the show.  If you have any other questions, check out the posting under the "Upcoming longrifle show" portion of the Classified Forums on this ALR site.

Finally, I thank my friend Dennis and the other moderators of ALR for giving us such a great website!

Wayne Elliott
welaw@mindspring.com
Wayne Elliott

Hessian

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »
Seriously considering taking the day off friday & attending. (I have a prior commitment saturday.)
Hessian

2lookindown

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 10:33:21 PM »
I was wanting to go beins my folks from wayback were from there.... It would be a great trip for the weekend.... I need a break from the funerals and such.... Lost 2 uncles and a 1st cousin in 2 weeks...I hope my 3 are done for the year.... 2 of them were father & son both Norris' as well.... If I can talk the wife into a trip I may show up.... I need one of there signs to put on my lane..... ;D ;D

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 03:07:47 AM »
2lookingdown,
Sorry to hear of your family losses. You have my condolences. The old saying bad luck happens in threes is very true, unfortunately.
I am glad that you are considering coming to the rifle show. It should be awesome, and hopefully a very good learning experience.( for me for sure.) We will be keeping an eye out for ya!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

2lookindown

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 04:00:00 AM »
TopKnot, Thanks it is turning out to be a beautiful weekend... Mushrooms are going to be comin up.... I want to come down it's bout 4 hour drive.... I hope to make it.... Again Thanks....

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:29 AM »
2lookingdown,
 I hope Its nice weather. Its a 6 or 7 hour drive for me,but It will be well worth it!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 04:55:09 AM »
Bob Harn, Ed McKinney and I will be there Friday all day and Saturday until around noon.  Stop by my table and say hello and maybe even buy something.  Ha!

Hessian

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 09:25:57 PM »
Looking forward to this greatly! Just a few hours drive for me. I'll probably take the day off. (I need a break from the Knuckleheads!)
Hessian

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »
I didnt notice this the until now, but I will be heading down there tomorrow with Jerry Noble.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline AMartin

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 04:00:44 AM »
My friend Paul Gosnell & I will be there all day Friday and perhaps a few hours on Sat. ... need a break from all the whittling ..
I won't have table but a good general picking on folks is in order !!!  ;D

Hope to meet a bunch of folks !!

Allen

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 04:52:44 AM »
Loved it!  I got to meet Denis Glasner, Jim Chambers and other folks I had only known through the site and email.  I really enjoyed it.  I also now know , after seeing some originals, my pistol, shown on the building fourm, is overweight, even after cutting it down three times.  I am considering taking it apart and cutting it down once more.  Do you think I can match the existing finish? ( AF stain, black filler and Chambers oil finish?) 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute. I too met Dennis, Jim, and Tim Crosby whom I bought a fine banded powder horn from. He is a very talented horner and a very fine person to boot! Dennis is a true southern gentleman. His Gillespie rifles were awesome . They were all just beautiful. Dennis is very knowledgable about gunbuilding and also computers in general. Jim Chambers is a warm and friendly gentleman and eager to answer any and all questions you may have about his locks and also gunbuilding in general. He was most helpful to me . I now plan to buy one of his kits and to attend his classes sometimes in the next year or two. I also met a fine gunbuilder from my home state of alabama, Jim Parker. Jim is a very nice, and most knowledgable southern gunbuilder who I talked to awhile and admired his beautiful rifles. He was helpful in answering my questions and also gave me a few pointers on building. By the superior quality of his rifles, you can tell that he has been building for many years. To sum it all up ,the show was great, the dinner was good, and the builders that I met were just plain awesome and most helpful. I totally enjoyed and plan to attend next years show! I bought a new camera before attending the show, and let me tell you I really got it broke in good before the show was over! If you are new to building and missed the show, I highly recommend attending next years show. There is no substitute for actually seeing and holding a longrifle in person. My heart felt thanks to all who attended and to all who who worked together in making it all happen, and especially Wayne Elliott.

topknot

TIM COMPTON, SR.