Author Topic: Hadaway Lock  (Read 6797 times)

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Hadaway Lock
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
I have a flint rifle on a tennessee or po boy style I bought in 1976.  It has a hadaway lock in it.
 Can anyone tell me about this lock.
I broke a spring in it back in the early 80's and was able to get another from his wife if I am not mistaken lived in Ashevill, NC at the time.
 Does anyone have one these locks.
iloco

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Hadaway Lock
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »
The Hadaway lock was a fine little lock and "Doc"Hadaway left us way too soon.
I have wondered about the dies (moulds)used to make this lock for years.
Does anyone have any positive info as to their whereabouts or dispostion??
The last time I saw Doc was in 1978 at Friendship and he asked me to make a Ketland
lock for him to make  flint Hawken with.He passed away suddenly before I could get
his lock done.

Bob Roller

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 07:21:52 PM »
Does anyone have one these locks.
Do you need one?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline iloco

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
I don't need one.  I was only referring if anyone had one what their thoughts on it were.
  I have heard these are collectible locks but have no other information confirming this.
iloco

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »
The Hadaway lock or parts for them are collectible.The production
wasn't long in duration and when Doc died,no effort seemed to be made
in keeping it around.It was a good little lock and was great for a pistol or slender rifle.

Bob Roller

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »
iloco if not too much trouble could you post a pic of the lock please. I just want to see what it looks like. Thanks
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline iloco

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:53:03 PM »
When the weather clears I will go outside and get some better pictures.

iloco

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:50:11 PM »
I used Hadaway locks on my first three guns, 1970 - 1975.   They actually function quite well, but are kind of a "generic".
One little feature on their locks was an adjusting screw on the tumbler where you could regulate the amount of engagement
of the sear.   I think Doc also helped with the development of the first Thompson Center Hawken rifle.    I was told that the
cock and frizzen on the TC lock are the same as the ones he used in his standard kentucky style lock.........Don

JoeG

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 06:30:18 AM »
I used one to build  a light rifle for my wife in 1978
she shot it for a long time then my two boys took it over for many more years
I also used it for 10 ten years of boy scouts
great lock and never had any problems

I bought one new in bag at at the Monroe Wa. gun show 3 years ago
It has a brass lock  plate, not sure of what to build with it

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 06:11:39 PM »
Not the greatest styling, for sure.  Maybe decent for it's time, but certainly wouldn't be today.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 05:14:10 PM »
I have one such in a long rifle which I drag around at times to shoots to peddle.  Used it some moons ago to hunt and took one deer neck shot with it. Well made lock as I recall.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 09:53:09 AM »
I used a Doc Hadaway lock on the first scratch rifle I made.   It was the best thing available at the time and a good performing lock.  Unfortunately,  the rifle was pretty awful.  Once I started making half way decent guns,  I cut up the stock and recycled the parts, at least the barrel.   I still had the lock when Doc Hadaway's granddaughter contacted me when I was running ALR to inquire as to how she might get one.   Apparently,  the family hadn't kept anything of his work and the granddaughter wanted a memento of her grandfather.    I sent her the lock as a gift. 

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 02:14:25 AM »
Marck, you probably don't need me saying it, but, that was a very nice thing to do.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
I have one among my locks.  It is a bit like a small Siler, but as Jim Kibler says it wasn't a stunning design.  But for the 1970's you have to remember that, apart from Bud Siler and his wife, most locks available came from DGW and those often were pretty basic.  My Hadaway sparks well and I still may use it on a small rifle for my wife or grandkids.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:51:21 PM by Curt Larsen »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 03:19:15 PM »
"Doc"Hadaway asked me to make him a Ketland lock for a flintlock Hawken he wanted to make but sad to say,he passed away suddenly before I completed the order.I would probably have traded him lock for lock because I was going to make a pistol and that was a fine small lock for that project.This was in 1978 but I can't remember if it was at the Spring or Fall shoot at Friendship.

Bob Roller