Author Topic: barrel underlugs  (Read 2540 times)

Offline yip

barrel underlugs
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:25:52 PM »
  how many barrel underlugs on a 42" swamped barrel? in the past i only used 3 for a 42" and 4 on a 46".  just wondering.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: barrel underlugs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:47:57 AM »
It depends on the region/maker that you are reproducing.    I only use 3 on VA guns, even long ones, because the first pin is either just behind or just in front of the rear entry.    It is a Southern thing to put the first pin as far forward as possible.    After all, the pins just hold the forearm on as a place to put the thimbles.    Four pins are much more common on PA guns, even short ones, because the first pin is in the middle of the lower forearm.   But it really varies by maker and length of the barrel.   Like most everything with longrifles,  the true answer is "it depends".    That is why it is generally best to base a recreation on a particular original gun.   That way, you can say you did it the way you did "because Billy Bob did it that way in 1790".   No one can argue with that.   Me, on the other hand, do what ever the heck I want when I am making a gun for myself or as myself.    After all, if I am making a Mark Elliott, who can tell me I did it wrong?   They might not like what I did, but they can't tell me it is wrong. ;D

Copperclad

Re: barrel underlugs
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:45:19 AM »
Like most everything with longrifles,  the true answer is "it depends".    That is why it is generally best to base a recreation on a particular original gun.   That way, you can say you did it the way you did "because Billy Bob did it that way in 1790".   No one can argue with that.   Me, on the other hand, do what ever the heck I want when I am making a gun for myself or as myself.    After all, if I am making a Mark Elliott, who can tell me I did it wrong?   They might not like what I did, but they can't tell me it is wrong. Grin

Hi Mark
Great post , Reading it made my day  ;D , Keep up the good work.
Best regards