American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:24:52 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Accoutrements
| | |-+  glass bottle leather covered canteen
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: glass bottle leather covered canteen  (Read 1475 times)
sonny

« on: May 13, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »

I am so tired of leaky wooden canteens , leather brewers pitch lined hip flask/canteen , copper off tasting canteen(tin lined of course), an now willing to leather cover a small rounder glass bottle with just the mouthpiece sticking out. How rev period correct would a canteen be of this type be ?, or will I be singled out for a, "no such thing was used", during the rev war?......I am thinking about leather covering a six pack of coke but can't figure how to get the pull tabs to look period correct.....nae.....just kidding there!........but would like a leather covered bottle canteen.....anybody tell me the rev war reinactors take on this?......sonny
Stophel

Chris Immel

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »

So far as I know, the "Louisbourg Canteen" is the only existing period item that MIGHT be a leather cover for a glass/pottery bottle.  I think the jury is still out on whether it is, or whether it is a "leather bottel".   Huh

Years ago, I made a leather covered stoneware bottle for myself.  It's pretty neat, I think, but I really don't know how much something like this would ACTUALLY have been used 225 years ago.

And I have had no problem at all with my copper canteen (NOT tin lined).  Water keeps and tastes fine.  Though I know that a copper canteen is NOT historically correct either!  Copper would have cost a fortune then.... heck, it costs a fortune now!

I'm sorry, I thought we were building flintlocks...not fiberglass stocked, tactical bolt action sniper rifles.
D. Taylor Sapergia
Member 3

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 12:25:55 PM »

TC Albert did a great article in a past Muzzleloader magazine on covering a bottle with leather.  Or was is Muzzle Blasts?  I get both, and can't remember which it was.  He writes a great article, and I look for'd to all his palavering.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com
Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:25:37 PM »

Alternative suggestion: have you ever tried a gourd? I had one as a kid and the water always tasted musty, but then it was an old one and could probably have worked better with a good cleaning or a coat of beeswax inside.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen to be walking about.
- G. K. Chesterton
Clark B

Southern Indiana

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 06:31:06 PM »

A well made wooden canteen, properly cared for, does not have leakage problems.

Psalms 144
sonny

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »

awwww common!......I know that guys are using leather covered bottles in rev reenactment....hell! I know three or four guys myself. I cannot imagine that somebody who found a beer bottle or a small medicine bottle didn't cover it with leather to make it hard to break during rev war period.....sonny
Chris Treichel

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 10:16:28 PM »

Yea, gave that a try. Lasted one reenactment whereupon a few hours work met its demise against a strategic rock. I can chuck my leather jack against a tree and its fine. Plus the beeswax is a nice flavoring agent.
T.C.Albert
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »

Sonny...I can give you instructions on how to cover a bottle if you like...
its pretty straight forward...all you need is the bottle, some masking tape...
cardboard for the pattern...veg tan leather...awl, needles and cord.
If you decide you want to make one, I will be happy to walk you through it..
(note: p.m. sent) 
tc

A gentleman is a man who never hurts anyones feelings...unintentionally.
visit: www.thehuntingpouch.com
Timber
Starting Member

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:18:49 PM »

A friend of mine just bought one from Colonial Williamsburg You can view it at this site.    http://wulffsrangers.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DSCF7563.jpg

sonny

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »

timber,  that looks incredibly close to what I made......is it excepted by rev war reenactment units?...I worked my tail off making this darn thing an I sure would like to use it without side looks.....sonny
sonny

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »

T.C.-----..........thanks for the heads up on bottle question, an thanks for the option to buy yours. I have already made my leather covered bottle an learned a few thing about doing it.....I love the look of it, but hope the unit leader won't give me a thumbs down unexceptable with it!.........sonny
T.C.Albert
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »

Way to go on making up your own Sonny...thats the way to do it...
if the leader gives you a thumbs down, just plug the vent on your musket
fill it with good rum, tompion it shut, and trade snorts for water...
see if he likes that approach better..
I would bet thats pretty P.C.  Grin

A gentleman is a man who never hurts anyones feelings...unintentionally.
visit: www.thehuntingpouch.com
Timber
Starting Member

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »

Sonny,
My friend and I both do F&I, Matt dose a lot of research and found that that they carried them then so they would of had them in the Rev war. Not as a regular, but militia or farmer or such. 

David R.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »

I made a gourd one and covered with leather and melted some beeswax and lined it. I used it a couple seasons before It found a rock. The thing to remember is to always store it dry. Let it drain out after each use and store with the stopper out and it won't get musty.  The water always tasted sweet like honey.  I saved the seeds when I made it. I need to plant some. I've got a tin one now but I miss my gourd.

I would have no quarrel with thee if thou be a friend of liberty.
sonny

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »

thanks everybody for the heads up.......I am portraying militia so the bottle will fit....thanks.....sonny
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length