Author Topic: Best Powder Prices?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
Best Powder Prices?
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:21:37 PM »
There has been some recent discussion about powder prices and availability. Ya'll might want to check out this site. I emailed them with some questions - the Jack's brand powder is GOEX 3F that is made for them. They are only 70 miles from the GOEX plant. GOEX shipped for $12.60 lb. - Jack's shipped for $10.00 or picked up for $8.40 lb. (25lbs.)   www.jackspowderkeg.com   I don't think you will beat the prices.   Danny
North Louisiana

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Best Powder Prices?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:16:33 AM »
I would suggest that you price your total order with this company and with Graf. I got quotes and Graf even though higher per pound when all was totaled up Graf was $6.50 cheaper on my order. Maybe on a full 25 pounds it might have been different. This company charges $45 Haz mat fee.
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:17:06 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Danny Jones

• Danny Jones - retired telecom eng.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:05:05 AM »
Dennis, was that Jack's that charges $45 hazmat fee? Do you know if that would apply if I picked up 25 lbs. at their location ($8.40 lb.) or is that only if it is shipped. They are not far from me. I was going by what they sent in an email plus the following price list.  thanks  Danny                                                                                                                                                        Jacks prices include shipping                                                                                               
Jacks Battle Powder 1F-3F (Goex)... $255 (25 lbs.)
Goex 1FG-4FG... $315 (25 lbs.)
Cannon... $335 (25 lbs.)
(Call for mixed orders.)

Pick up or delivery prices to local events.
Jacks Battle Powder 1F-3F...$210 (25 lbs.)
Jacks Battle Powder 3F in can... $9.50 (per lb.)
Goex 1FG-4FG in bulk... $250 (25 lbs.)
Goex 1FG-4FG in can... $11 (per lb.)
North Louisiana

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
I was not buying a full 25 pound shipment (that's the max that can be shipped on 1 order) so that probably is part of the higher price plus the Haz Mat fee with Graf is $20 and with Jack's its $45. I assume if you picked it up it Jack's would be cheaper. I am too far to drive for pickup.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acorn Mush

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:51:21 AM »
I was checking prices on Graf's online order form yesterday. For an order of 22 pounds, the HazMat fee is $20. If you order 23 pounds, the fee doubles to $40.
Consectatio pro excellentia in mediocris

FG1

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 08:12:52 AM »
powderinc.com sells KIK powder that is a little hotter than Goex and is $10.60 a pound shipped to your door in 25 lb lots.

It shoots very very well and is no dirtier than Goex.

mykeal

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »
Here are the results of a survey of real black powder prices that I did while sitting in a motel room enroute to an auction last Friday. 

UIpdated on 1/13/2009

First, the price by supplier:

Next, the same data sorted by brand:

I corrected an arithmetic error in the Powder, Inc. 25 lb lot per pound prices, so the least expensive per pound price is Powder, Inc.'s KIK in a 25 lb lot at $10.10. Second is Jack's Powder Keg house brand at $10.20.

I also updated the Powder, Inc. prices to include an increase in the hazmat fee from $20 to $22.50 per shipment that occurred over the weekend.

I queried Jack's Powder Keg about his hazmat fees; he responded by email stating that the prices on the web site (which are shown in the chart) include the hazmat fee and shipping costs. If the hazmat fee is indeed $45, the powder prices are very, very low, as his prices are nearly the lowest.

The Graf's prices do include a new hazmat fee ($22.50); it doubles ($45), at 23 lbs and above, so the 25 lb lots have the $45 fee.

Note: These are 'delivered' prices; that is, the cost to put it on my doorstep in Michigan, so they include shipping and hazmat fees. The standard used was fffg, although I didn't see a difference in price between granulations in most of the data.

Most of these data are taken from the supplier's web site. However, I did speak to a couple of them directly. The Hazmat fee has risen from $20 per shipment to $22.50, and the wholesale cost of the powder has also risen in 2009. Some of these web site prices have not been modified from 2008 and so may not be exactly what you'll be charged if you actually order it. Where possible I went all the way to processing an actual order to get the delivered price, so I believe they're accurate, but things can change overnight...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:32:01 AM by mykeal »